PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Just finished a video on the sandblasting process on a RC Snappin' Turtle covering my equipment and techniques (and yep- it's tough to do the work and shoot a video at the same time....)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQqHp8MwRcE

...and the finished pipe...

2rqj6z7.jpg

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Sam,

It's only one color- chocolate. After I sanded the smooth areas, there was a heavy coating of sawdust in the texture of the sandblast. I blasted that very lightly, wiped on more chocolate very lightly on the tops of the ridges and it gave it some more dimension in the color. I could have blasted a little heavier after staining or used 600 grit to knock off the high points and added a lighter color then. Bottom line- you get more dimension with a multi-step finish and color process...

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
Love the video Zack. Very well done and will help a lot of people interested in doing this technique!!

leparker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2014
Weyers Cave, VA
Love the video! I have sandblasted steel on golf clubs but never wood. The texture you get is amazing. I'm going to have to try this. Thank you for sharing this.

leparker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2014
Weyers Cave, VA
Love the video! I have sandblasted steel on golf clubs but never wood. The texture you get is amazing. I'm going to have to try this. Thank you for sharing this.

dhizzy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2011
Zach, I love the Snapping Turtle. I have never commissioned a pipe but I may have to take you up on one while I can afford one! You have the market cornered on a unique design concept and I love it. Suppose someone wanted a Snapping Turtle with a full blast; could you also do a contrast grain if that makes sense? EDIT: Think, black 'n tan...

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Dhizzy, thanks...contrast stains actually are pretty easy- if it's a smooth pipe, stain it dark, sand or buff out until you get high lights and the dark areas, and top coat with the lighter stain...same principle on a blast- stain dark and either hit it with a light blast or sand out the high points on the blast with 600 grit...and top coat with the light. Almost everything I do is a 2-3 stage stain...

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
Zach:
Thanks for posting your video. It is nice to appreciate the steps required to make a pipe. Normally we only see it on a store shelf or in a picture online already completed.
Please tell Harris hello from Doug when you visit him. Thanks.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Very impressive, Zach, thanks so much for sharing the process with us. I'm one of those guys who can't do anything with his hands, so I really stand in awe and admiration of someone who can produce the kind of beautiful work that you do.

dhizzy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2011
Cool! Well, I'm not ready to pull the trigger just yet but sometime in the near future I may. I am really wanting an artisan pipe and I have been looking at Rad but you have a beautiful design there and I'm thinking you are who I'll be contacting when I'm ready. Thanks for taking the time to do the videos. They were pretty cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.