PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebklodt

Might Stick Around
Nov 9, 2012
Most cats on the pipemakers forum use glass beads. I use to have the grit that rad davis used written down somewhere as I was looking to get a blasting set up. The cost of the 80 gallon 7.5 hp compressor (recommended by rad) put that on the back burner for a while.
If I can dig it up ill post the grit.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Ok thanks I've got access to one. My buddy has one I can use and he uses glass beads, but I wasnt sure if that was too high powered for briar or not. I plan on taking a junk piece over and experimenting.

ebklodt

Might Stick Around
Nov 9, 2012
Good friend to know! Is he a pipe carver?
Give us a report once your done.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Dave I have used a bead blaster a lot at Exxon, we used sand and not on pipes, here's my experience with it, pressure is the key also distance to the object, you can get different results by varying the distance and pressure.

Reactions: DkGanz

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Ok thanks Bradley, my friend is not a pipe maker. He makes tranquilizer darts and guns. His company sells to zoos and game reserves all over the world. He uses it for the darts and gun barrels etc., but said I was welcome to come over and give it a shot. I have yet to shape the pipe I'm going to blast, that is my project for the weekend, but I've got some other briar I can experiment on.

chagovatoloco

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 19, 2013
Tranquilizer darts! Wow.... I was not expecting that. Dose he look like this?
Jumanji_Hunter.png

mkelaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2012
I'm partial to deep blasts in the style of Lee Erck and Jim Cooke. I use aluminum oxide medium in a 320 grit with a small pencil rather than gun style blaster. It allows me to direct the medium with great precision. Glass beads with a gun is much, much faster and results in a different style of blast.

Status
Not open for further replies.