Sandblast Question - Is This A Huge Flaw In The Briar?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2012
I saw this pipe on eBay and was intrigued.
At first I thought it was rusticated, but the more I looked it seemed to be almost natural.
Is this a huge flaw/inclusion/whatever in the briar?!?!?!?
Can pits be that massive?
Hopefully, the answer will be that it's actually rusticated and I am mistaken.
If such huge pits do exist in briar blocks, well then that just ups my respect for all the pipemakers.

8O

Q3K9loz.jpg

7FKyjsP.jpg

3d3XsXl.jpg

sWyBNpU.jpg

May 31, 2012
8O

Yikes!
How can y'all question my fine taste?

LOL
I wouldn't touch that thing with a ten-foot tamper!
But,

I am intrigued if it is actually a natural sand pit that was exposed during the sandblast,

if so,

damn!
I didn't know such big pits could exist.
:
No surprise it's listed "right as rain",

the very same seller is discussed here:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/warning-fraudster-on-ebay-selling-counterfeit-eltangs-possibly-castellos-etc
I haven't come to a form solid moral opinion as far as the pipes that seller hucks being total replicas of famous Danish and Italian pipes that he continues to sell (wisely dropping the counterfeit line LOL), but my gut tells me it's a pretty yucky affair.

8O
A faux Castello...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HS-Studio-Pipe-unsmoked-/221634386541?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item339a705a6d
...sitting next to an $11,500 Kent Rasmussen is quite insane,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kent-Rasmussen-pipe-Butterfly-unsmoked-/221401703831?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item338c91e597
The knock-offs may look nice, but I highly doubt that they're actually quality pipes.
Who knows?

I could be wrong.

But I'm not interested in investigating any further.

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
To me those pits/holes look like termite damage in the wood. the sandblasting exposed them.
John

May 31, 2012
John,

I think you're right,

insect damage is what it looks like.
Wonder what it looked like before blasting?
Did it look like a "normal pipe" with those bug trails hiding a couple of mm under the surface?
Wow.

8O

darthcider

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 24, 2014
Wales
Looks a bit like insect damage and I agree that the colour seems off, almost solid, rather than being used to highlight the grain.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Have made a few pipes myself, and have yet to see pitting like that. Damn! 8O

desertpipe

Might Stick Around
Nov 13, 2014
I have seen briar with that kind of damage, but most end up as cross section cut-aways when discovered by a carver. That, or the end up as firewood. First finished (and for sale, no less)pipe I have seen with this kind of damage.

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
I'd have to agree with the others on this one that I'd be very leery that this pipe would be a good candidate for a burnout. As a pipemaker myself, I couldn't see selling a pipe to my customers if they have any obvious imperfections. It may be in this case that the pipemaker thought that the damage (looks to me like insect damage as well) actually added a unique look to the pipe or perhaps he finished it off as a conversation piece not intending to sell it but it eventually wound up on eBay any way. I actually toss out a lot of cob bowls due to discovering a minute flaw in the bowl. I also run into some that have gouges in the cob from the harvesting/shelling process or holes from insect damage and while the cob bowls themselves may be structurally sound, they just aren't aesthetically pleasing and these usually end up being discarded or smoked by myself.

adam12

Part of the Furniture Now
May 16, 2011
That is close to being the (least aesthetically pleasing) pipe I've ever seen...

May 31, 2012
This thread is a good illustration of what happens to a crappy block of briar when a real pipemaker encounters the problem,

in this case,

Mr. Rad Davis.

http://www.pipemakersforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6917
:

:

:

:

:
shakenpipe-vi.jpg

:lol:

Welldone!

LOL

Shake 'n Bake for the win!

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The puzzle is why, once discovered, the pipe carver kept working on this briar and put a finish on the

pipe, and a stem. I suppose he/she took it as a challenge and thought they might end up with something

really interesting and one of a kind. Correct at least on the second part. Without the insect holes it is not

an especially fetching pipe. With them, it is a kind of horror story. For me, it is kind of a sensibility problem,

like a somewhat mean bid for attention. Okay, the carver succeeded in that. Now I hope I'll forget I saw it.

laytonpipes

Lurker
Dec 3, 2014
Ive never seen a flaw like that. It looks like there was a large flaw and then this person used a dremel on it to make it look like he planned it that way.

acutabovebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 18, 2013
Patras - Greece
Briar some times is home to larvae of beatles that eat their way out of the burl. On the way out the larvae cover their " traces" with the digestion byproducts that also look like soft spots in the wood. These pieces are pieces that the mill through away with no second thought. Well in this case the mill sold that piece! The main issue is tha some wood worker, not pipe maker, made a pipe out of that piece and decided to blast it in order to cover the flaw. Well the blasting washed out the soft material that was deposited there by the insect and that only made things worse. In my opinion no pipe maker would ever choose to make a pipe out of that wood in the first place. By the way what is the brand of this pipe?

Status
Not open for further replies.