Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

royodhner

Lurker
Dec 28, 2015
The most magical place in the whole world is the family property - what we Odhners call "The Farm" - in Fallsdale, PA. (It's in Wayne County). The place holds tons of great memories for me, but for a variety of reasons I haven't been there in many years. One of the best memories associated with that wonderful place is the smell of freshly cut hay fields on an early summer morning or a late summer evening. Musty and sweet, delicate, and a bit floral. Intoxicating. The sound of water pouring over the old dam and then on down to the falls is the perfect pairing to the heavenly smell. The call of the loons and croaking of the bull frogs only add to the magic.
When I take a deep whiff of Sam's Flake, the tin note takes me back to the farm and I become a bit (OK, a lot) homesick. Johnson County, Texas, is a long-haul from Wayne County, Pennsylvania. The balance of the Oriental leaf, Virginia leaf, and tonquin bean offer-up an uncanny olfactory resemblance to those freshly cut hay fields and fresh Pocono Mountain air. So does the flavor, and to a certain extent so does the room note of this most choice and sublime pipe weed.
The flakes are a wee bit moist, and require about - for me, anyway - 30 minutes worth of trying time. They're a blend of medium brown and tan tobaccos, and are fairly thick. Some people complain about the thickness, and I have to admit that I prefer the thinness of an OGS flake. However, SG flakes are sliced on equipment that predates the American Revolution so I'm not complaining. It appeals to my romantic side.
The flavor is just wonderful, and for the life of me I cannot separate the flavors of the Virginia leaf, Oriental leaf, and tonquin bean. They form a fantastic collage of flavor, and I have no real desire to pick apart the magic so I just go with it. I'm sure that if I really wanted to pick it apart I could, but why bother? I just enjoy the smoking experience. This is a tobacco that I just like to sit and sip on. It's definitely my favorite tobacco of them all, be it Samuel Gawith or any other blender. However, it's not something that I care to smoke all the time. This is a special treat for me, and I think that if I smoked it all the time it would lose some of it's charm. I suppose I'll smoke on this tin a bit more often than usual, however, since I'm dedicating a Dr G. Freehand to it, and I want to do it right. Strength-wise, I think that it's just a bit north of medium, so this makes it an ideal evening smoke for me. It pairs nicely with a glass of mildly sweet iced tea or a hot mug of Bigelow Earl Gray tea.
Now, excuse me while I enjoy this bowl of Sam's Flake, drift back to the summers of my youth when the world was a lot bigger and happier, recall the sound of the falls and call of the loons, and breath in that hay scented air. If I'm lucky tonight, I may find myself back there in my dreams.

Reactions: Scottmi

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
Thanks for the review! I've really been wanting to try this as I love orientals and I love SG flakes, so it seems like a no-brainer for me, but it's out of stock almost everywhere except for Iwan Reis. Where did you get yours?

royodhner

Lurker
Dec 28, 2015
4noggins, and it's out of stock right now. (Expletive deleted). I tried a tin several years ago, and loved it. I've been ordering it ever since. I had the foresight to order a skid (five tins) a little over a year ago, so I've got a couple more in the cellar. As soon as it becomes available again, I'll probably order another skid or two.

pilotage16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2015
I have been wanting to try this. I'm I big fan of SG, sadly it's been out of stock at my main online store.

pilotage16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2015
The big three still are out of stock... Smoking pipes had it yesterday for only a few hours I guess. Is this the new Penzance or Stonehaven? :)

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
Smoking pipes had it yesterday for only a few hours I guess.
Did you get a notice? Because I thought I was signed up for the email alert, and I didn't. As far as I have seen, it's been sold out at the big three for a year or more, which is about the length of time I've been watching for it. I assume it is a low-demand blend that SG doesn't get around to making a batch of very often. At least, I haven't seen anything saying that it is no longer being made...

pilotage16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2015
I did get the email notice. But I don't watch my email all day. Must have sold out quickly at smoking pipes.

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
Sam's Flake is now (finally) in stock again at SPC for anyone who's interested. I had just picked up two aged tins from Pipestud, but grabbed a couple more for the cellar. Looks like Sam Gawith is getting back into the swing of production again after the move?

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Nice review! I picked up a tin a couple of years ago, and never got round to opening it, now I am on the other side of the world and its locked up in a storage container, I guess I am ordering another tin, (hopefully it is available) my curiosity is piqued!
Isaac

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
Wonderful review! Having grown up on a small farmstead in rural southern Poconos myself, I know exactly the flavor/scent profiles you are describing. I'll have to give Sam's Flake a try.
As you mentioned, the recent thickness of Samuel Gawith flakes has become a deterrent for me. Before they became insanely popular and scarce (~2008), all of the SG flakes I tried were rather thin and very easy to prep+light without much drying at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.