PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

menckenite

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 21, 2010
Alabama
This is my first review and rather than trying to be objective to a familiar audience I’m giving my subjective experience. I have been waiting to try this 200 year old blend for two months now and with so much anticipation, I thought I’d share my thoughts. I have recently rekindled where I left off 15 years ago in this enjoyable hobby. Keep in mind that I have only just the basic familiarity of tobacco types and am without the knowledge of a seasoned smoker but one has to start somewhere.
The initial tin note of Grousemoor is like a well dressed lady wearing just a little too much perfume. However, once my senses got accustomed to the note, there was something of substance, something very familiar that I can’t identify just yet but want to know more about. The appearance of the tobacco is very light and tanned ribbon cut Virginias. It feels almost like velvet and packs well.
After lighting, I try to contrast and compare Grousemoor to other tobaccos I’ve had without any success. Since I can’t compare it to any foods, beverages, or other blends I’m only left with the following:
I had to relight many times but this is mostly due to using a puffing technique unsuitable for this blend. I learned that it takes much longer and fuller puffs than the other tobaccos I’ve smoked.
After my first bowl I felt it’s almost as if the Samuel Gawith blenders of old had ask the Virginia to take on a roll of a life time. Stretch yourself to the upmost limit without loosing who you really are. Be a little over the top, with lots of character but also refined. I’m thinking of Barbara Stanwyck in The Big Valley. With my upmost attention as the last of the smoke is exhaling , I could taste hints of some very fine Virginia.
It never gurgled or changed flavors but remained an interesting flavor throughout the smoke. I never had to “tip” this tobacco because it never had excessive ash. Also, it hardly had any white ash, mostly dark and even darker grey. This was by far the coolest smoking tobacco I’ve smoked so far. My pipe was barley warm during entire smoke accept at the very end and that seemed unusual considering the heavier draws I had to adapt to in keeping it lit.
I don’t think I could smoke this all day or while being occupied with other things because I’d miss out on the performance. However, I do look forward to smoking more of Grousemoor.

menckenite

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 21, 2010
Alabama
Every time I try to delete the back slash in the header, it adds another. Will one of you kind mods please fix it?
Thanks,
William

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
This Lakeland blend is one that I tried to smoke and finally saw

that it's just not for me. Sometimes things just don't work out...

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Great review menckenite. The SG blends do seem to be their own animal. But this is one I like myself.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Thanks for the review. I'm about half way through my tin of Grousemoor and I agree that there is something alluring about it. Definitely floral but gentle. If I ever get back to the UK I will make a point of visiting the Gawith facility. From some of my emails to them they sound like a real classy bunch.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Thanks for the review! I'm tempted to try Grousemoor now since I like the Kendal Cream De-Luxe Flake from the SG Lakeland series. The Kendal was a very aromatic blend upon opening the tin. I wanted to eat the flakes... Sounds like Grousemoor is similar in the tin-note and in the re-light arenas. I found that the Kendal had to sit out overnight to dry to help cut down on relights.
On another note, I'm truly impressed with your, "subjective experience". I've never thought of a blend in that manner before and it was a wonderful way of bringing me into your smoking experience. It makes me want to grab a tin just to try for myself! My TAD thanks you (my wallet does not.)
Thanks for the great review!
-Jason

skipper

Might Stick Around
Sep 19, 2010
A beautiful review!

This blend reminds me of the smelly reeds in a riverbank in spring.

It's not an all day smoke, as you said, but a very enjoyable one on occasions. I love to smoke it in the summer nights...

skipper

Might Stick Around
Sep 19, 2010
Well, I know a couple S.G.s I don't like but ALL the others are, as you said, at least very good ones.

And the ones I don't like maybe are very good too. Simply they don't suit my taste.

bcharles123

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
Old post I know...
The William description at the top is spot on. I post this for two reasons.
One, if you ever want to follow a review and actually relate to what the author says, this is it!
Two for those that don't get aromatics, this one tastes like it smells in a big way. Very pleasant. It is floral like perfume but I think I like it! There I said it.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I happen to like Grousemoor a lot. I always like it to Earl Grey tea. As for how it is after 8 years in a bag, I'll wager that it is very subdued.

bcharles123

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
I wonder how much of that perfume is left on a one pound plug that's been sitting in the foil bag in the cellar for 8+ years?
All of it I bet. Btw, most golden tobacco I've ever seen.

peterj

Lurker
Jul 28, 2015
Grousemoor is one of my favorites. I dedicated my nicest pipe to it because the ghosting is strong. I really can't compare it to any other tobacco I've ever tasted, either.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I heard a British gent liken the tin note to what the Queens un-mentionable's probably smell like. That ruined any chance of me ever trying it.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Depends on the Queen, no? But a lovely metaphor in any event. The Brits often say "knickers" in public, by both sexes. So that no one gets his/her knickers in a twist over anything! :)

Mar 1, 2014
Grousemoor actually made me put the pipe down when I first tried it. The tin of Grousemoor that I got made Ennerdale seem tame (they are somewhat different smells as well).

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I agree that it is the only aromatic I have ever smoked that actually tasted like it smelled (apricot jam). Its an occasional treat for me, but always enjoyed.
Isaac

Status
Not open for further replies.