PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

skulltula

Lurker
Aug 17, 2015
Imagine if you will-- you pick up a bottle of liquor from your cabinet. The label reads an alcohol content surpassing the 75% mark. Breaking the seal, you're surprised to find that it has quite a pleasant scent despite its high alcohol content. On the rocks, you pour it to your desired level, which is halfway. First sip, it's as smooth as the smoothest vodka ever. No burning sensation! You decide to drink the rest of your chosen poison of bliss. Several minutes pass, and you're feeling hardly any sensation of swirling around, mindset change-- you're just as relaxed as any bottle which has accompanied your evenings in the past.
You go to stand, and suddenly, you can't. Fear begins to penetrate your thoughts. "Oh, what did I do?" you begin to ask. An immediate respect for your drink washes over you.
That's Samuel Gawith XX. It's so smooth, you wouldn't believe it came from an area known for making nicotine bombs, which (in my personal, limited experience) have almost always been in tandem with very bold flavors, full body, and spicy flavor components. Alas, this is not. It's as smooth as-- silk, if you can believe that can be said in describing tobacco.
Sipping cannot be an overstated method of XX. This tightly-twisted rope of Virginia has a demon lurking about it. It is the demon of indulgence. It is the demon that both protects you and attacks you.
This tobacco is great! I'm seriously unable to put into words how much I like it. Since I'm still a beginner in the pipe world, I can only discern from text what peoples' reactions their experiences portray in limited quantity. Apparently, quite a few people are huge fans of SGXX. And I know now exactly why!
My method of preparation included the use of scissors and time. I unraveled a quarter-inch to half-inch section into the individual leaves, then proceeded to finely cut them into smaller strips by hand. When I finished the fine cuts, about 15 minutes had passed, so waiting for drying time wasn't necessary. I gravity-fed the bowl, pressed lightly, and topped off with more pieces to about 90% capacity.
Pouch note-- Good ol' tobacco. Can't get much more specific here. No toppings or casings.
Charring light-- great amount of expansion here. Flavors I still don't know, but I just know it's pleasant and not foreboding to any degree. Nothing that would make a yak cough. Great scent.
True light-- this didn't take long at all. It burns well after a drying time, which I discussed a bit ago, but I'll test out a longer time frame later in the week and see if anything changes.
Nicotine hit-- My introduction says it all. Just because it doesn't sting your tongue doesn't mean it isn't going to be a light hit. I discovered this quickly (and still feeling it 30 minutes later).
Since I'm still recovering from a random virus attack last week, I'm probably feeling the nicotine hit hard because of my medications. I'm fairly certain that they contributed heavily to my lightheaded nature, but not enough to cover up the effects of smoking XX!
I do recommend this tobacco to everyone. You must have it at least once.

rblood

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
Good first impressions Skull, thanks. I need to give XX a try - I am a huge fan of Brown Bogie and it sounds like XX may be something I'll like.
I use a cigar cutter to cut BB into thin discs and just load them up, rub out a few of them to top it off. Seems to burn forever (or it could be time warped by the nic).

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Three words. Char broiled steak.
An amazing blend, absolutely love it. Try mixing it 50/50 with Jack Knife Plug too!

skulltula

Lurker
Aug 17, 2015
Jackknife Plug will be on my next order, chasingembers! Thanks for the suggestion!
rblood: You might be right about the time being altered by the nicotine. :lol:

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I've only had the Gawith Hoggarth ropes -- is this one smoother than those? Or is it the black that's much smoother than the brown?

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
You go to stand, and suddenly, you can't. Fear begins to penetrate your thoughts. "Oh, what did I do?" you begin to ask. An immediate respect for your drink washes over you.
Then you break out in a sweat. At first it's just a few beads, then it begins to pour from your brow and down your back. Suddenly a wave of nausea breaks over you. Your stomach slowly reaches the point of no return. Your mouth waters, and the vomit quickly makes it's way up your esophagus despite all efforts to suppress it. You vomit several times and collapse, nearly unconscious, in a pool of your own sweat and vomit, breaking your pipe as you hit the floor. An hour later, as you slowly regain your composure, you realize that tobacco does kill and vow to never touch Samuel Gawith XX again.
There. Now you have a proper picture of SG XX.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
skull and seacaptain summed it up pretty much. I really like XX but it kicks the sh!t out of me if I'm not careful. :puffy:

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
As Clint Eastwood once said "A man's got to know his limitations." I know mine and it is less nicotine than what is in ropes. An occasional bowl of 1792 is as far as I go.
Mike S.

skulltula

Lurker
Aug 17, 2015
I've only had the Gawith Hoggarth ropes -- is this one smoother than those? Or is it the black that's much smoother than the brown?
I cannot answer this question, as this is the first rope I ever tried.
But I can state that I'll be far more careful in the future with twists and ropes. I cannot say I'll avoid it like the plague because, just as with electricity, gotta respect it!

May 31, 2012
Then you break out in a sweat. At first it's just a few beads, then it begins to pour from your brow and down your back. Suddenly a wave of nausea breaks over you. Your stomach slowly reaches the point of no return. Your mouth waters, and the vomit quickly makes it's way up your esophagus despite all efforts to suppress it. You vomit several times and collapse, nearly unconscious, in a pool of your own sweat and vomit, breaking your pipe as you hit the floor. An hour later, as you slowly regain your composure, you realize that tobacco does kill and vow to never touch Samuel Gawith XX again.
There. Now you have a proper picture of SG XX.
That is a superbly well-wrought description,

all it needs is a cartoon.
1400073776685.png

:
And don't forget,

in a few very rare cases, the smoker is sometimes visited by a very special SGXX "secret friend" who will help you in your spinning state of delirium to navigate through a phosphorescent luminous portal into loathsomely redolent spheres and dimensions apart from our own,

he'll be your little buddy.
2018d4a4344bc6f117df549463325929.jpg

skulltula

Lurker
Aug 17, 2015
misterlowercase, absinthe drinkers have their Green Faerie, so maybe the secret friend for twists and ropes can be... Oh, I was thinking Cthulu?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Don't get much of a nicotine kick from this one. I also like to cut pieces from the rope and chew it from time to time.

rblood

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
chasingembers, have you smoked Brown Bogie? Is XX similar? I also chew BB from time to time.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I unraveled a quarter-inch to half-inch section into the individual leaves, then proceeded to finely cut them into smaller strips by hand. When I finished the fine cuts, about 15 minutes had passed, so waiting for drying time wasn't necessary.
I'll have to try this. Probably makes it a lot easier to light. I have been cutting thinner slices and then unraveling them, producing fine strip tobacco.
Someone mentioned the Happy Brown Bogie...
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=bogey
Interesting word in itself. The tobacco is fantastic. A bit denser than the larger ropes, and more moist, but still delicious.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm enjoying GH Irish Black Twist rope from time to time, and mixed in with milder blends. The black is said to be milder than the brown rope, but it is still a full-strength blend. I'm not interested in smoking just for the challenge, although that is a perfectly honorable approach. But when you want a full-strength tobacco, this is a good one. I actually like both full strength and milder blends in rotation, as long as I can taste the blends. When I get down to the mild blends with three dots/stars on both strength and taste, sometimes I don't get much from them, especially since I am a moderate smoker.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
This one?
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/552/gawith-hoggarth-co-black-irish-x-unsliced
Looks delicious.
When I get down to the mild blends with three dots/stars on both strength and taste, sometimes I don't get much from them, especially since I am a moderate smoker.
Interesting. I had noted the same thing. Insert something here about "being on the fence and my balls hurt," etc.
I'm not interested in smoking just for the challenge, although that is a perfectly honorable approach.
Sounds like a scene out of Conan.
There is something alluring about full-strength tobaccos, but mainly for me, the effect when working. A very useful and enjoyable experience.
I fear some, like the rustica and Tambolaka types... those sound like they might find my dessicated corpse (kept at humidor levels of moisture) weeks later.

Status
Not open for further replies.