PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

marc75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2017
Mooresville NC
Is it me or are Samuel Gawith tobacco's as scarce as other popular tobacco's like Esoterica and Germain's. Every online web shop is out of stock. Anyone have any idea as to why?

spartan99

Can't Leave
Mar 10, 2017
There are droughts, but it isn't near as scarce as anything that comes out of the Germain shop.

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
Not normally, but it sure seems like that over the past year or so.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
It seemed like things were getting spotty earlier last year for whatever various reasons. Events since then have certainly made people wake up and start cellaring their favorites. I know I’ve rounded out and reinforced my GLP portfolio of post deeming blends.

maker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2018
All the straight virginias from the major players are sold out or selling out fast.

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
Seems to go through phases of out of stock and available. Being a big fan of 1792, I've seen this on and off for years. Hopefully they'll come back. I have a couple pounds of 1792 put away, but don't want to believe it's the last.

I'm a big fan of GH bulks also. I'm sure we'll see P&C and SPC fully stocked soon.

smokeyweb

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2013
Maybe Russ O. or Sykes W. want to chime in... "where are all the Gawiths at???"

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Over the last 7 years of smoking a pipe; I've seen Samuel Gawith blends become very popular at times and sell out, and at other times every blend is in stock. It's nothing new by any means. For a while you couldn't find 1792 Flake, Full Virginia Flake and/or Squadron Leader anywhere. That's been an on going trend for a while along with other SG blends. The blends will be back in stock eventually. I wouldn't worry about them being out of stock for to long. They've not scarce by any means, but they're great tobaccos and people enjoy them so they buy them.

jamban

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2018
Gawith is an amazing old world blending house. According to my sources, the factory is very busy churning out blends that are not necessarily their own. This is the reason for the short supply of Samuel Gawith blends worldwide. The wait time for now varies depending on how early your tobacconist (B&M or online) put in their last order.

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
Mafia Takeover in effect, Phase 2.
To save your very soul, purchase my new hardcover book, "How to Hoard and Flip Pipe Tobacco."
If purchased by midnight tonight you'll receive my free paperback edition, "How to Properly Cellar Tobacco and Triple Your Investment."
sidenote: Rumor has it that Samuel Gawith is being bought out by Captain Black Inc. (CBI) and will produce nothing but aromatics.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Wouldn't the reason for the shortages be the same as why McClelland shut their doors basically? I also would like to hear from Russ and Greg on this. Is tobacco harder to source right now?

bazungu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2018
I do not think it is due to scarcity of tobacco leaf, most of their tobaccos are sourced from completely different sources than McClelland or other American blenders I believe. They mainly use tobaccos from East-Africa (Malawi), India and perhaps even Indonesia and I assume they also might have some century old connections for their oriental leafs.

Oct 7, 2016
Texting with someone who works at a B&M a few days back, he said their first quarter pipe tobacco sales were the best in over 10 years. He has heard nothing to indicate any problems at SG " it will show up when it shows up, like always."

Status
Not open for further replies.