PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tobaccojoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2016
USA
I have decided to turn to you fine folks on this very forum and inquire about a specific section of my growing tobacco cellar: Samuel Gawith Tins.
I have searched this forum, r/PipeTobacco, and many other blogs, forums, and websites online. I have asked a few people what they think and am always presented with multiple different answers.
My question is this: For all who cellar my beloved Samuel Gawith tins, do you further seal them with ParaFilm or another type of tape? Do you (as I have seen many, many times) just stack them up and leave them for years? Have a personal storage method that works? Experience with storage not working out?
It's obvious from the heavy scent emanating from any tin of SG that they are not as completely sealed as other blends...or are they? I periodically check my tins to make sure the lids are still tightly secure. My worry is that they will eventually dry out (more than needed with these blends amirite?) and/or rust out the tins. I currently keep all of my SG tins in a few travel/Coleman-type coolers and always make sure they are kept at a good temperature.
Thought I would finally ask the collective pipe tobacco borg-hive-mind what you're thoughts on this were, or personal experiences you've had with aging Samuel Gawith tins. I understand I may get 100 different opinions from 100 different people, as it goes, however I am fully prepared to take all of them into consideration for the greater good of all... (of my SG tins).
Thank you for taking the time to read this and I welcome any and all insights into the matter.
-Joseph

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
Ask 10 people and you are going to get 11 different answers... but..
I put mine in Mylar bags to which I add an O2 absorber. If the tin ever looses its seal it will find itself in an airtight, oxygen free environment so the "special flavorings" cannot oxidize.

tobaccojoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2016
USA
Thanks, jitterbugdude, I have heard of a few people doing this. Do you do this for each individual tin or for a few at once?
I do check from time to time to make sure that every tin I have stored does not lose the tight seal it arrived with.

tobaccojoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2016
USA
One BIG C-clamp
C-clamping everything together would be ridiculous. Either need one HUGE clamp or many, many, many individual clamps. It'd be PANDEMONIUM!

tobaccojoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2016
USA
sallow: I tend to agree, but even they have said that they do not particularly tin their blends for "Americans who are into cellaring and aging." These are the very specific tins that people warn about rust, seals eroding, tin weight being detrimental to the lids staying on, etc. These are the only tins I have needed to even go so far as to inquire about "faffing" with. :)

bryguysc

Can't Leave
Feb 4, 2015
Most of my SG I buy in the 250g boxes.

I have a few tins. Some I opened immediately and jarred, and I have a couple that are still in the tins. I'll probably break down and jar them at some point, as I don't entirely trust them.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
For years I have just tossed them in one of my water tight Container Store Boxes. I have never had a problem with rust or mold or dried out tobacco.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
Right, that was Germain.
Do what you will to the Gawith.
Seriously though, I have kept the Gawith tins for some time and have not had a problem. I have received some Hoggarth tins that were unsealed, but that was obvious at acquisition, as they say. I just put the offending contents in a mason jar.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
No, I do not seal further... except when I do, but not necessarily so and not always with that blender, but always with those blends.

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
I also stuck mine in mylar bags. Two tins of the same blend per bag for me.
I've done this not only for SG tins, but for anything I know I won't smoke in the next 5-10 years. Honestly, it's probably overkill, but it bought me peace of mind.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
+1 on the Bothy Flake, joe

ehrlich-0915-600x448.jpg

tobaccojoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2016
USA
Bothy Flake is a scotchy peaty delicious smoke. I'd expect nothing less from the Kearvaig Pipe Club boys.

pilotage16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2015
I have experience with these tins the last 8 years with no problems. I put them on the carpet and tap the sticker with my nail, you can tell by the sound if the vacuum seal is still good. I had one tin of FVF that I thought the vacuum seal was broken. When I opened the tin after 5 years the tobacco was fine. I do not stack, I lay them on side to take pressure off seal. Watch the humidity in your cellar area, outside likes to rust.

Status
Not open for further replies.