PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
On a scale of 1-10, I wanted to know your opinions on the strength of Samuel Gawith St James Flake, Full Virginia Flake, and 1792.
To put it in perspective, as a control I consider Escudo a 5 and St. James Flake around a 6. I haven't had the others.
(Nor have I had any real strong blends but I find Escudo to be "moderate" and comfortable to smoke while St. James has just a bit more nicotine to my senses; still, I can easily handle it)
What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I would put FVF at an 8 and 1792 a ten. I don't know if you are a fan of the tonquin bean flavor(1792), but you should try to get a sample before ordering. It has a very unique taste that I personally do not care for. Obviously there are tons of people who love it, I think it is one of those your either really like or really dislike.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
So where would Escudo and St James Flake fall on your scale? Did you use my 5 & 6 as a baseline?
I've been really intrigued by the 1792 description for years now so I know to expect a strongly flavoured blend high in nicotine - I'm sure I need to try it to discover what all of the buzz is about! The tonquin is why I am so interested. Other than that, I'd never try it...
I've never had a "strong" tobacco so that'll be my first introduction. I plan on trying half a bowlful on a full stomach, trust me!
Worst case scenario - if I don't like the casing, I will jar it up and come back to it in a few years when it has had sufficient time to wear off...

mick

Can't Leave
Aug 13, 2012
I think it is one of those your either really like or really dislike
I neither liked nor disliked it. I found the casing so very mellow that it was neither enticing nor off-putting. :? As for strength, it's no Red Man chew, that's for sure! :wink:

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
If you consider Escudo a 5 and St. James a 6, then FVF (for me) is a 4 or 5, while 1792 Flake is probably a 9 (very strong stuff). The only stronger tobacco I've ever had is Peterson Irish Flake -- both have Kentucky dark fired burley in them.
If you're just interested in Tonquin flavor, Gawith and Hoggarth Brown Flake SCENTED has tonquin in it, along with maple and licorice, but I taste the maple and tonquin primarily. With 1792, the tonquin is equally matched by the smokey flavor of the dark fired Kentucky, so neither offers a totally pure tonquin flavor. Moreover, the G&H Brown Flake Scented is probably a 6 on your Nic Scale, so it won't do as much damage as the 1792.
For the record, my one bad experience with tobacco was with a big bowl of 1792. I'd smoke it again, though, as it's truly a unique taste experience.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Pitchfork,
G&H Brown Flake Scented sounds interesting but it is not available to me.

(I do love maple and licorice so it sounds like a good combination to me)
Unfortunately, also, I have an irrational prejudice against G&H since Top Black Cherry was the first and only blend to make me sick with its flavouring. (Bob's Chocolate Flake is nice but I had that long before)
Anyway, I'm surprised to hear you say that FVF is weaker than SJF.
Thanks for clarifying that 1792 features a prominent dark fired flavour as well - that is another new element to me.
Mick, I am SURE that you received something else in your 1792 tin! That description just doesn't sound right!

garyovich

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2012
I agree, 1792 would be a 9-10, I like it a lot, but what I really like is the ghost it leaves behind. I only smoke it in one pipe, and I love trying other blends in that pipe to see how the tonquin ghost interacts with other blends. I'm a high nicotine guy (dip copenhagen in addition to pipes), and every now and then 1792 makes me need to sit down.
I would put FVF at about a 6 if you say Escudo is a 5 on your scale
No experience with ST James flake yet.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I pretty much agree with the above. I put 1792 at a solid 10 based on other blends available. Only Irish Flake hangs with it in terms of nicotine punch. I just jarred up the 1/2 pound I bought and now I'm kicking myself for not buying more. Thankfully it's easier to come upon than FVF.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Roth, I'm going to dedicate a cob to 1792. They are my "standard" pipes. The Country Gentleman is my weapon of choice; the bowl is rather large though, so I will start with it only half filled and smoke as slowly as possible...
gary, if a Copenhagen man considers a blend a 10 it must be true! I will see how the tonquin ghost reacts with other tobaccos - sounds interesting. (If I like the blend and finish the tin, that is) I'm fine with FVF if it ranks anywhere from 6 to 8 for me.
msandoval, thanks for your input. You should get a few more ounces while the SG stocks are still plentiful...
Sounds like I should get back on the Red Man to train for my match with 1792! :lol:

garyovich

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2012
Give it a couple chances if you don't like it right off the bat. The first time I tried it I didn't care for it at all, but I kept at it and smoked a 2nd bowl. I thought I was going to end up giving the rest of the tin away. Then I noticed what a mild straight VA tasted like in that pipe, and I was intrigued...the ghost was delicious! I considered trying to find one of those machines dr grabow uses to "pre-smoke" their pipes so I could keep the pipe ghosted without having to smoke it myself. Then I realized that wasn't realistic and started smoking a couple bowls once or twice a week. Now it has really grown on me and is one of my favorites. I have quite a bit cellared up in case it ever becomes less available. Bottom line: don't write it off if you don't care for it right away. Some people love it right off the bat, some people need to acquire the taste for it.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I'm going to take my time with it and keep at it until I get a few bowls in.
(Unless it completely disagrees with me, of course)
Thanks for the advice, gary.
From a blind sampling perspective, I'd prefer if a milder tobacco such as Best Brown Flake had the heavy tonquin casing so it'd be safer bet but who knows - maybe I'll enjoy it the way it is.
I thought Sam's Flake would have a decent amount of tonquin in it, but it was not what I expected.

(Although it is still very nice mellow blend in its own right - I really like the stuff)
As for everyone else - it seems safe to say that 1792 is 10+ :puffy:
Any more thoughts on where St James Flake or FVF lie on the spectrum?

sixmp

Can't Leave
Jan 19, 2012
1792 is my everyday smoke :) I just can't get enough of the stuff.
It is probably one of the strongest i have had along with Irish flake

The softer you sip the more the tonquin flavor comes through, puff a little harder and you get a cigar like flavor.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Excellent tip, thanks sixmp. Definitely don't want a huge cigar experience right off the bat!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I put Irish flake and Brown rope no. 4 at the top of the nic scale so I give fvf an 8. Definitely not as strong but it is to me a pretty good nic hit. St James I put 2 notches lower at a 6 and best brown around 4-5. I rank escudo as a 5.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Excellent summary, thanks.
I look forward to the FVF - it sounds like a great after dinner smoke...
I can enjoy Escudo and St. James comfortably on an empty stomach (even with caffeine) so I think I'm up for FVF.
Best Brown Flake sounds like I could smoke it all day long.
1792 remains the only intimidating blend!

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I put Irish flake and Brown rope no. 4 at the top of the nic scale so I give fvf an 8. Definitely not as strong but it is to me a pretty good nic hit. St James I put 2 notches lower at a 6 and best brown around 4-5. I rank escudo as a 5.
I gave away my tin of Irish Flake - liked the taste, but too much nic. FVF was also too high for me;don't remember if I smoked the whole tin or not. Best Brown is about my speed.

I am now confirmed that I want to have nothing to do with 1792. :nana:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
jud, I don't blame you about 1792, it is very strong but that tonquin bean flavor is like nothing I have ever tasted, I don't even know anything to compare it to. I know I really disliked it though and it just goes to show how everyone has such different tastes. It is a huge seller and very popular and considered one of the holy grails of pipe tobacco.
FVF and Irish flake are fine with me as long as I have a full stomach. Even though I was a nail smoker for over 30 years and can certainly handle my nic, those two will get me queasy on an empty stomach.

Status
Not open for further replies.