Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
This review was done by Jaxz.
Blend: Squadron Leader

Manufacture: Samuel Gawith

Container: 50g Tin

Tobacco: Virginia blended with Latakia

Cut: Ribbon Cut
Smoking Notes: In my limited experience I'd call this a mild-medium bodied tobacco. Unfortunately I smoke outside so it's difficult to notice any sort of room note, but I would speculate to say it's probably pretty pleasant. The flavor is pretty straight forward and consistent throughout the bowl. This smoke just draws you in immediately, a great marriage of the sweetness from the Virginias and the smokiness from the Latakia. Neither stands out over the other. I experienced no tongue bite what so ever.
Notes:This is/was the first pipe tobacco I fell in love with. Upon opening the tin I immediately was greeted by the aroma of a campfire; which I'm learning is indicative of a Latakia blend. The tobacco packs easily into the pipe and despite being a little wet straight out of the tin, it lights easily and requires very little work to keep it going. I'd recommend drying it out though if you've got the time.
Overall Assessment: This is a must try if you are interested in experiencing latakia blends as the flavors are not overwhelming to the senses but they don't hide either. This remains my go-to smoke on an almost daily basis and I'll very soon need to pick up a couple more tins of these.

analogmoz

Lurker
Apr 29, 2009
Killer stuff. Everyone should try this, as IMO it is better than the newer batches of Dunhill My Mixture 965. 965 was my old standard for the ideal English experience, but SL is now the yardstick by which many blends are judged today.

Which reminds me, I haven't had this blend for a long while now...off to remedy this...

sapo59

Can't Leave
Dec 29, 2009
I love squadron leader. It was the first blend I ever smoked with latakia in it. I have tried other blend but always find myself coming back to squadron leader. The aroma out of the tin is like a leathery smokey campfire. I never get tongue bit from smoking it either. I think all the flavor marry together quiet well. In my opinion it is one of the better blend out there, and should be held as a high standard to compare other similar blends to.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
SL was one of my first loves when it came to the traditional English blends. I've commented before on how the bulk product seems to be lacking some Latakia and it leaves the blend very oriental forward and by that I mean sharp and hard on the tongue. Anyone else experience this? I concur with the OP on the tin version up to the knock on 965, it's still a solid, smooth lat blend IMO. If you like Squadron Leader I suggest you try Commonwealth and Perfection as well.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
That is correct the bulk doesn't have the Latakia like the tins do IMO as well. Good call on the common welt a great blend as well. I know SL gets the love but commonwealth is just as good IMO. I see skiff was also mentioned these are IMO the best Samuel gawith blends I have tried and are some of the best English blends out there. I will also say readily available as well. That's always a plus.

nachman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
would be very interested if the more knowledgeable members like the 3 above compare this to:
1) Skiff

2) Commonwealth Mixture

Skiff Mixture has more of a Turkish component which makes it a little spicier.

Commonwealth has more Latakia. In fact it is half Virginia and half Latakia.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
There are many English/Lat blends that are super tasty, imo. Greg Pease is a master of the genre. Westminister, Gaslight, and my favorite, Quiet Nights, come to mind. Penzance is very good but not worth the effort to track it down, much less the inflated bay prices. If you appreciate sophisticated, well melded Lat blends, then Russ Oullette's Magnum Opus is a must try.
Squadron Leader is one of those blends that is so perfect that I couldn't think of a single thing to do to improve it - except switch to round tins instead of the rectangles which simply don't seal well once popped open. But that is critiquing the package, not the contents.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Squadron Leader is one of those blends that is so perfect that I couldn't think of a single thing to do to improve it
SP must have been reading this thread and decided to publicly show me wrong. As you might know, on Friday they released a commisioned version of SL with Perique added to the blend. I ordered a few and will try it out.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Reviews of the Squadron Leader Special Edition with Perique will be critical, as those of us without it will be anxiously deciding whether to not buy or not buy the blend we cannot buy. OK, OK, I will now stop whining. I cannot promise that I will stop criticizing, though.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
LOL. Buroak, you got some Balkan Sosani or some Pennzance or Stonehaven you might want trade? If so, I have some very rare and valuable SLP :wink:, aged two days, that I can trade. BTW, was this the first time Squadron Leader Perique referred to as SLP?
Congrats on breaking 1000, Buroak.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Ha, brass, I do not have any such rare blends to trade. I think you just coined the latest standardized blend abbreviation, but I might suggest SLAP (Squadron Leader And Perique) as alternative more reflective of my feelings about it.
Thank you. When I first joined I did not imagine I would hit 1000 posts in less than a year.

pablohoney

Lurker
Jun 18, 2015
I just started smoking pipes, and Squadron Leader was one of my first purchases, but the tangy, smoky smell from the tin had me fearful that I had made a mistake.
My initial thoughts were that there was an earthy fullness to it, and notes of pine. Being my first non-aromatic, I was really on the fence with it. A couple of days later, I wanted more. Then it almost became something I'd daydream about. I started to branch out to Nightcap and Drew Estate Meat Pie, but both left me wishing I had gone back for more Squadron Leader.
Finding local tobacco stores that aren't head shops with a couple of dusty Captain Black pouches is difficult, but I'm definitely going to keep an eye out for SLAP. Is this the sort of thing that's going to disappear after a limited time?

Status
Not open for further replies.