PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I go to The Briary and notice the dwindling SamGawth shelf. And, Skip tells me that he is having a hard time getting in more S&G products. He really didn't know why. He just said that distributors are not filling retail orders. So, bantering back and forth we conject that either S&G is in so much demand as the FDA inspired tobacco hoarding is affecting the importers/distributors. Or, that S&G is taking note of Esotericas technique of under producing to drive up prices and demand, or that S&G is about to go the way of Bringham pipe tobacco, which is now refusing to be distributed in the US.
I sure would hate to see Samuel Gawith leave the shelves. But, as I said, this was one store. Anyone else hearing anything about S&G? Maybe, ask your local pipe shops about whether they are having issues as well.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My B&M doesn't carry S&G, but I wonder if S&G is affected by Brexit. The pipe tobacco market surely is in flux. I'll watch this thread.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I've noticed availability is down. I don't know why, but imagine that there is something temporarily going on? Working out kinks after the merger with Hoggarth is my guess? It's still only been 21 months. That's not very long for two companies that split from each other over 150 years ago to figure it all out. I imagine they're fine tuning processes, quality, etc... which can take time. I'm guessing we'll see stock go up in the first and/or second quarter of 2017? Again, I'm speculating and would love to hear others takes.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
My guess is that a lot of their products (post 2-'07) will be forced off the market on 8-'18 when the new FDA regs take full effect. Add in the increased costs of FDA compliance on their pre-2007 products and it is no longer business as usual. So they, like every other pipe tobacco manufacturer, distributor and retailer, is closely reassessing their position. Expect that "out of stock" will be the new norm.

jabo

Can't Leave
Jan 26, 2016
Noticed the same at the Briary,Michael. I've also noticed their 4 season blends are scarce. Can't find any Scotish Autumn ! The Danish pipe shop has a new ST blend out. Perhaps they have some insight. We should check.

cranseiron

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
Woodsroad, if a company is faced with a forced/restricted production decrease wouldn't one try to increase production and sales for the 18 months or so before those restrictions hit? Just curious as I don't know the business end of tobacco but, maximizing profit while the green light is still burning seems a better strategy than prematurely and voluntarily reducing production and thus profit. Of course, it's all conjecture at this point but, it is a fact English retailers can't sell abroad any longer.

Cranse Iron, Bringham has already pulled out of the US market. So, what Klondike Gold is on the shelves is all there is going to be.

And, I have just returned from The Briary again and what Woods says was what Skip was told from the importer/distributor. So, I bought a huge selection of SG products while I was there. If they go away for good, at least I will have a few months worth to set back for rainy days.

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
We've got new EU laws on tobacco currently being enforced and more on the way in 2017 and in the US the FDA rules. It must be hard for small companies to adapt.
There's also the white elephant in the room of Brexit and as the goverment hasn't made it clear what Brexit actually is or going to look like how can small British companies that trade internationally plan for the future? Particularly ones whose products are subject to so much tax and at varying rates.
As a quick rant; all we're getting told about Brexit in the UK is Brexit means Brexit and Britain wants a red, white and blue Brexit. WTF does that actually mean? Politians gave people a vote for Brexit without even knowing what Brexit actually is, there was/is no plan B.

cranseiron

May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
I've got some Best Brown and Brown Irish X salted away but, is it enough?...... may have to start WW II style rationing. :(

cranseiron

May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
This from Sablebrush 52 on another thread and most likely answers my speculative question:
"Clearly, no manufacturer wants to have significant unsellable stock sitting on shelves on August 8th 2018, so expect these blends to go out of production and be allowed to sell out well in advance of the August 8th 2018 deadline."

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Here in the u.k. The main online suppliers all seem to be stocked up constantly, so I'm guessing no difference with the actual tobacco houses output.

More a case of nervous/reluctant buyers in the states. Not knowing what's going to happen with impending rules & regulations. Happily for us all as pipesmokers, gawith & hoggarths combined. Should be in a strong enough position to keep us all smoking their blends, some of the best in the world for as long as we want. You lot in the states just might have to change the way you shop for them.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
The tobacconist I work at in Canada just got some bothy flake in this week, I did not see what else was ordered or what kind of quantity, all my attention was honed in on that peaty flake!
Isaac

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
How is that Bothy Flake? Ive been a little curious.
Oh, that stuff is just awful. Really crappy. Just look the other way, man you don't want to even be in the same room with it. Order something else...anything else.
Let's change the subject now.
How many lighters do you own?

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Ha, keep it down...the bothy ya.
Its...different. Strange incense like flavour on top, especially at the start of the bowl, but reappears. Latakia is fairly prominent and I need a second bowl to give a better review to be honest.
Isaac

josephcross

Dec 30, 2015
Lol the Bothy ya!

I like latakia, but not big on toppings. Id try it, but dont think Ill buy a tin. Ill keep to hording St James Flake.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
I've also noticed their 4 season blends are scarce. Can't find any Scotish Autumn !

I noticed that too when I went to stock up on Scottish Autumn. I talked to SP and they said the 4 Seasons are a one off. Get whatever you can while supplies last.

tobaccojoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2016
USA
Thank you guys for the monumental heads-up in regards to the Bringham news. Just bought another sleeve of KG and there was 77 tins left at SP. I am really grateful for stumbling on this news. I would have been heartbroken to hear of this a month from now. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.