PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

toddryan84

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2017
I've seen a ton of people talk about SG Squadron Leader and some other SG like Navy Flake, but what are some good SG blends to try?
Here's what I have that I currently enjoy:

Peterson Old Dublin

Frog Morton Cellar

McClelland Blue Mountain (Balkan Blue)

Dan Tobacco Old Ironsides

CD Black Frigate

GLP Sixpence

HH Blackhouse
I haven't gotten to some of the others I have. For instance I have a huge tin of Rattrays Scottish Mixture and a few others that I haven't opened yet.
Side note: tobacco strength does not seem to affect me, and I tend to like bolder, richer flavors. However, I am not opposed to more delicate stuff, sweeter stuff, or a decent aromatic (as long as it's not heavily flavored with fruity stuff)
Ok, go!

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I'd start with Brown No. 4 and maybe some Black XX Twist. Personally I also enjoy Full Virginia Flake, and find Lakeland Dark to be utterly sublime. But those are just some personal favorites.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
SG blends I recommend are Skiff, and Chocolate Flake based on your list. Are you looking for non-latakia blends, too?

fmgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2014
I second Skiff Mixture based on what you have in your list. It is great stuff.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Full Virginia flake, St James flake, Kendal cream flake, 1792 flake I've tried and love them all. If you like sixpence you should definitely try st James flake, it's a very rich flavor

toddryan84

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2017
Nope not only Latakia, but apparently a lot of the blends I picked up have it lol
I like VaPer, Burley, Virginias, I'm also open to something new. I haven't really tried many aromatics (despite understanding that almost all tobaccos are in some form an aromatic but I digress)
I'm open to new suggestions, not just Latakia. Maybe some of their "gold standard" blends.
Maybe a few from each tobacco type?

toddryan84

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2017
That chocolate flake sounds delicious! It also got really great reviews on tobacco reviews! I might definitely try that!

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
003-059-0063.jpg

One of my favorites :clap:

toddryan84

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2017
Wow reading reviews of SG blends I am really regretting not trying any of this sooner. All of them sound delicious, although deathmetal recommended two that sound a bit out of my league right now, they all sound great in reviews

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
1792 is a gloriously dark, slightly freakish, very strong blend. Totally unique and delicious. If you like straight VAs, FVF is one of the finest (and that's coming from a guy who's not too crazy about the genre). Squadron Leader is a classic, though I think it's overrated. Bob's Choc is great, and if you like aromatics Firedance Flake is amazing.

cosmicbobo

Part of the Furniture Now
May 11, 2017
Grousemoor and Bothy for me, though I have only tried a few more of his blends than that. Both of these remind me of wet hay and the fun I had the day the pigs ate my little sister

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
My revised list based on the OP's later comments:
Skiff, Chocolate Flake, Full Virginia Flake, St. James Flake, Cabbie's Mixture, Bothy Flake, English Summer Flake, and Best Brown Flake. Todd, I didn't list blends with Lakeland-esque toppings because it seems to me that you should get an idea of the base blends before you venture into the very heavily scented ones. Some of these blends need some dry time, e.g., FVF, SJF, Chocolate Flake and Bothy Flake.

J. Mayo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2012
Texas
The only Gawith blend I've tried is Full Virginia Flake......All I can say is DRY THE EVER LOVING (EXPLETIVE DELETED) OUT OF IT. I know this to be the absolute truth with FVF, but I've been told it's consistent across all Gawith blends. They come soaking wet and will burn with enough steam to singe your tongue for a lifetime (I know from experience). Once you get it dried it's not a bad smoke but I guess the initial experience and eventual hassle turned me off. Hopefully other Gawith blends aren't as bad, but what I've heard hasn't been encouraging.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Many people enjoy cabbie's mixture ... give it a shot, I find it far better than your Dunhill Elisabethan VaPer.

toddryan84

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2017
Skiff, Chocolate Flake, Full Virginia Flake, St. James Flake, Cabbie's Mixture, Bothy Flake, English Summer Flake, and Best Brown Flake. Todd, I didn't list blends with Lakeland-esque toppings because it seems to me that you should get an idea of the base blends before you venture into the very heavily scented ones. Some of these blends need some dry time, e.g., FVF, SJF, Chocolate Flake and Bothy Flake.
What is a Lakeland blend? I don't think I've ever heard of that one.

toddryan84

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2017
yup, cabbies is like stoved- and spiced plums, both in tin-note and smoking-aroma! Unlike many Va/Pers, and I sorta think there's some casing and some spices involved in this blend! Yet it is divine for its own merits!
Get it, or regret it!
That's kind of impression I got from GLP Sixpence....it definitely has a plum/dried fig aroma to it. It's dark and resinous almost, which I quite like. My only issue I had with Sixpence was I'm not that accustomed to rubbing out flakes, I've tried several methods (fold and stuff, rub and stuff, etc) and I didn't get very good results. Admittedly though, I tried this when I first took it out of it's tin and I just think it was too moist which is what gave me a lot of issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.