Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
Samuel Gawith or Dunhill? Why?
SamGawith1st_zpsenlp1kot.jpg

Untitled_zpsl8yvl9xj.png

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
I´d say Samuel Gawith because of their consistency all across their ranges. Besides, Dunhill is now being made by the Scandinavian tobacco company whereas Samuel Gawith is the only tobacco company in the world that still has the same old cranking machines from 1792, and they still produce in England in the old fashion way. These presses are now protected and declared national heritage by the British government.You cannot get more old fashion than that.

to_zpsw52le35o.png

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I'd say it depends on what you're after as it relates to blend characteristics. If you want a robust Latakia mixture, either can deliver. The current tinning of the Dunhill blends is producing some outstanding quality but as stated above Sam Gawith is the OG when it comes to heirloom blending houses. I like SG's Perfection, Commonwealth, Squadron Leader, most of the flakes and ropes. I also love just about all the Dunhill blends. I've related this before but it's worth repeating, I recently had the pleasure of smoking some Nightcap that was blended in the Dunhill shop in the early 1970's and tinned. It's tin note and smoking characteristics are almost mirrored by the current offering so that's quite a feat for a Skandinavian mega blender. I've also smoked many of the Dunhill blends that were once tinned by Murray's and I like what's available now more than what they produced. Try them both and see what you like, I'm betting you'll love them both.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
If we're talking blend characteristics, Dunhill when I want a nice mellow all day smoke, Gawith when I'm wanting a bit more of a kick i.e. Black XX.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
Samuel Gawith tins tend to be drenched out of tin. I honestly don't understand why but the tobacco is as moist as a snack cake and always tend to require drying out. Dunhill blends are just about right out of the tin. So I say dunhill but I do enjoy many Samuel Gawith blends.

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
@settersbrace: I have tried most of the Dunhills and I find a huge difference in between then and now with some of them. Say for example Royal Yacht: the new mixture has nothing to do with the old one. It does not look the same and I don´t think it is as strong in the nicotine department. As for others, say for example Early Morning Pipe or Standard Mixture, I don´t find much of a difference.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Royal Yacht is one that I could never take a liking too. It has always struck me as the black sheep of the Dunhill pipe blends. The EMP, 965 and NC are the ones that I've got the most burn time invested. I also like the mild and medium mixtures, Dunhill flake, navy roll and I'm still waiting to try the re-introduced Aperitif (?) and Durbar, it's been yeas since I've had any of the Elizabethian and I never smoked much of it.

ahpui

Might Stick Around
Jan 16, 2012
Like both but I can only get Dunhill in my remote corner of the world.
I would love to support the family business rather then the big corporate anytime.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
SG any day. Why? Because they've stayed true to tradition. And I smoke EMP everyday too.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I wouldn't say this is apples and oranges, it's pipe tobacco and pipe tobacco. One (SG) has made their pipe tobacco in the same manner in the same factory using the same equipment for over 100 years, whereas Dunhill discontinued all of their blends at one point and production has shifted from factory to factory in different countries each time people who've smoked them over time stating that they're completely different tasting blends. It's about one company toughing it out and keeping a tradition alive and another quitting and letting other factories take over their blends. It's kind of like people thinking Harley Davidson is still an American motorcycle yet every single part is made in china now.

Mar 1, 2014
Samuel Gawith.

St. James Flake is available for a lot less than the $125/lb that they charge for Navy Rolls.

They're one of the oldest tobacco companies in the business with a huge selection from ropes to several of the best rated Virginia blends on the market.

I haven't tried 965 or Skiff, but we know Samuel Gawith is made in-house and is consistent. Dunhill is just another re-brand of someone else's tobacco.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Don't see why we have to choose. Dunhill Flake (or Light Flake) and SG BBF have been staples of my rotation of years.Standard,Balkan Flake, Navy Flake, and Durbar all have their places in my rotation.

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
I personally don't advocate for any of the equal opportunity laws and regulations. In this respect, I give more to whoever I think is best, and SG is taking the lead here.

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
I may say Samuel Gawith is more of a business with tradition and heritage in their mind, like some of the whiskey production from certain distilleries; while Dunhill's tobacco is more strictly a branch of business of a brand, their marketing may tell people they cherish their 'traditions' but with years of observation, we can see who are really keeping good traditional elements in their businesses for their customers and who are not.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Gawith is ahead for me. They FVF is my favorite Virginia and my second favorite tobacco of all time. St. James flake is one of the best VaPers on the market, and Navy flake is in a class all its own. Taken as a whole, I prefer Gawith.
Where Gawith is weak to me is where Dunhill is strong; the Latakia/Oriental side of the books. I can't smoke Skiff, I burn it too hot trying to find flavor, but I like Squadron Leader just fine.....I just happen to like London Mixture better and I prefer Durbar to them all.

Status
Not open for further replies.