PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

atskywalker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2015
Canada
This is my second SG blend and I can't help but notice how much water is in there. Why are these products like that and what would be an average dry time? I know FVF has a huge following so there must be a way to make it smokable :)

fyfol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2015
I've smoked 1792, Squadron Leader, Skiff, Chocolate Flake and Bracken. They all came out of the tin really wet. I just pop the tin when I buy them, leave them as they are for about 2-3 days, at which time they become somewhat ready to smoke, I just have a bowl and then follow my rotation. They become ideally dry (for me) in about 4-5 days, if my memory serves.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Just to dry it to your taste. Thing about both Gawith houses (now combined as one as I understand) is they didn't begin tinning until relatively recently in their histories. The moisture was probably needed to keep the bagged blends from drying out too much. I understand they didn't really want to start tinning and didn't intend to change the way they produced their blends. I read that they only began tinning due to U.S. customer demand. Al that means the blends tend to have more water because the packaging doesn't let it evaporate until its opened...I guess.
Mike S.

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
You may try cube cutting the flake while it's still moist and let that dry. It's far quicker to do it like that. I cube cut most of the flakes I smoke.

Reactions: OSOBUCO
Dec 24, 2012
My take: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/prepping-fvf
By the way, someone took the contents out of a 50g tin some time back and weighed it. The content was closer to 60g, so perhaps they allow for the water. I have been meaning to do this experiment myself.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I often will open then the tin, then shut the lid again and let sit for a few days, especially with Gawith Navy. Depending on your environment, after a couple of days it's good to go. I prefer doing it this way rather than leaving out to dry or by using heat, I want the moisture gone, but I want those oils to stay in place.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
By the way, someone took the contents out of a 50g tin some time back and weighed it. The content was closer to 60g, so perhaps they allow for the water. I have been meaning to do this experiment myself
I've got a few tins of FVF coming Tuesday...I want to check this out.

bonehed

Nov 27, 2014
I weighed the contents of a tin right after popping it recently - 52g.

atskywalker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2015
Canada
Thank you all for the input. I ended up spreading the flakes on a piece of paper for about 4 hours then I cube cut them all. From there I rubbed the cubes very very well and left in an open jar for another few hours. I'm smoking a bowl of it now and its very nice! Thanks again.
PS: For some reason microwaving tobacco is something that I cannot get myself to do :)

elbert

Mar 10, 2015
PS: For some reason microwaving tobacco is something that I cannot get myself to do.
Ha! That was exactly what went through my head back when Peck first posted that. I wondered if I was the only one. I have no rational reason for feeling this way; I just do.

Dec 24, 2012
"Ha! That was exactly what went through my head back when Peck first posted that. I wondered if I was the only one. I have no rational reason for feeling this way; I just do."
I was sceptical at first as well, but it works like a charm.

fishingandpipes

Aug 24, 2013
Interesting, Peck!
I got on to SG flakes maybe 8-10 years ago and early on I learned that England has a regulation on the amount of water by weight that can be in tobacco. I think ~25%, if memory serves. I always thought it was a smart way to stretch product...

Status
Not open for further replies.