PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I have noticed that the Samuel Gawith Four Seasons tobaccos are made by Stanislaw and distributed by SG. Could anyone provide information on the quality of Stanislaw tobaccos? Also, are there other SG tobaccos that are not actually made by SG?

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
For what it's worth the reviews here and on TobaccoReviews.com have been fairly positive.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
darwin, Thanks for ending the loneliness for this OP. I guess those reviews are something of an endorsement for Stanislaw. I am still wondering how many other SG tobaccos are not actually SG tobaccos.

I've only had the Scottish Autumn, Irish Spring, and English Summer blends, but they are all spectacular. The Autumn actually made it hard to enjoy the FVF that I used to love best because it is a far superior flavor than FVF. However, I had no idea that SG did not make these. That is unusual, and throws up a few "?'s" because I do like them so much better than any of the previous SG line ups. Whoever makes it those, they are delicious, with a flavor that you don't have to work for; it steps itself up to the plate. I have the Winter in the cellar, and a whole ream of the other three. I need to try the latakia one soon to see if I need to put back a ream or two of it. But, I am expecting that I will love it.

sajgre

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 13, 2010
Autum is very good but summer is superb imo. I just started to smoke spring and it seems to be amazing as well. Was very surprised by the quality of blends.

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
Dang...

I stopped by the pipe shop in my neighborhood today for a pipe getting polished, and couldn't think of any tobacco to buy at that moment. Now, I am curious about those SG tins showing up here and there in the shop with seasonal themes.

:puffpipe:
By the way, it's impossible to get these newly introduced also seasons related tobaccos in Germany (yet? hope it's just because of the temporarily lack of distributor.)
B4rZKDhIUAEHIer.jpg

itj4.jpg

Also found these links:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/four-new-samuel-gawith-virginia-flakes

http://pipesmokersforum.com/community/threads/sam-gawiths-seasons-blends.35783/#post-772536

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I have a set of the Tsuge seasonal offerings sitting on my shelf - once I've freed up a jar or two in my rotation, I'll give them a whirl. Could be a while, though - I only get a bowl or two per week under normal circumstances...

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I am glad to hear good things about these Stanislaw-made SG blends. Still, I wonder why would SG not just make these themselves? Lower labor costs, fewer regulatory burdens, lack of capacity, or what?

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
menuhin, Perhaps the Japanese Maple leaves in the promotional photo have led German authorities to conclude that Tsuge tobaccos contain a forbidden leaf.

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
I've had the English Summer Flake (bad name choice, since it's not an English but pure, beautiful Virginia) and it tastes glorious.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
This is very interesting. Dr. Josef Stanislaw is a well known pipe man from the Czech Republic. He also created the blends for Mostex. I don't know if just created the blends for SG or if Mostex makes it for them. I would imagine that an email to SG would get an answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.