Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Done by Jaxz.

Blend: Commonwealth Mixture

Manufacture: Samuel Gawith

Container: 50g Tin

Tobacco: Virginia blended with Latakia (50/50)

Cut: Broken Flake

Smoking Notes: This was my 3rd bowl and I already can't get enough of it! This is a Med-Full bodied tobacco boasting a nice combination of Virigina and Latakia. It's a fairly complex blend; which is suprising when you consider it's a 50/50 mix. Should be pretty straight forward, it isn't. There is a nice ballet of flavors as the Virigina and Latakia dance throughout. (Did I just use ballet in a review?)

General Notes: If you're a fan of Latakia blends than this is a must try. If you're thinking of exploring them I would pass on this one at first. There is alot of subtely with this blend and it would be difficult to put your finger on without some prior experience. None the less, this is an excellant smoke and should be in everyone's cellar.

Overall Assessment: This is an outstanding smoke. When I think of an "English blend", this is what I think of. A good balance of Virigina and Latakia. Neither dominating the smoke, each presenting itself with confidence throughout the bowl. I believe it's availabe in bulk as well...in which case I'll be investing in a good amount to keep on hand.

analogmoz

Lurker
Apr 29, 2009
And now to contradict our fine reviewer with my own take on this excellent offering:
Commonwealth is one of my old go-to blends for Latakia simplicity. When I do not care to be over-analytical with things highly 3-D like G.L. Pease's Caravan or Abington, I find myself reaching for Commonwealth.
No Cavendish sweetness, no Oriental complexity, no Perique boost.
No lengthly discussion needed. Variations of flavor can be found if you puff slowly and "sip" the Virginias, or you can just smoke it like it's just plain ol' baccy and be equally happy.

mate

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2009
Trinidad & Tobago, W.I.
I find this a super blend.
Im no expert, so I cant give you all the intricacies, about content, room note etc.
Its no bite, lovely flavor
I have 6 tins cellaring and I am currently trying to buy some more
Nothing but praise for this baccy

Status
Not open for further replies.