PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
As part of my latest TAD order, I included a 1 oz of Samuel Gawith Commonwealth Mixture.
The product description is : “This blend of 50% heavily steamed Virginia and 50% Cyprus Latakia, gives honor to the Tobacco Lords of Glasgow & the Commonwealth of Virginia. Made in England.”
In the bag, a nice mixture of yellowish, brown and black strands gives the familiar odor of Latakia : smoky and earthy, very pungent. It was quite damp to the touch so I pulled a bit out and let it sit for a while.
Loaded my favorite pipe for smoking Latakia blends, a Peterson Aran 999, and gave it a light. The Latakia made itself known both in taste and smell. Being still wet, it took a few lights to get it going.
The smoke is pungently Latakia, with earthy, smoked mushroom notes, but very smooth and creamy. The Virginia adds some sweetness and rounds out the blend, there are no rough edges here. A bit of floral aroma will seep through on occasion, very faintly. It smokes extremely cool and well behaved, even if pushed hard …. although, with 50% Latakia, one would get a sore throat from it before they got a mouth burn.
The flavor does not change throughout the whole bowl. The last third required a relight and it smoked all the way down to the heel of the bowl, with nothing more than fine white ash left behind. Although this is a “full” blend, it doesn't leave a heavy taste in the mouth. No nicotine kick so this can be an all day smoke, if you like lots of Latakia.
As for room note, I smoke outdoors 99% of the time, but I imagine it would be quite strong.
This is definitely a keeper and a future regular stock item in my cellar. Bit pricey, but worth the money.

mick

Can't Leave
Aug 13, 2012
rcstan: have you tried Squadron Leader? How does this compare to that?

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
I was gifted a 6 yr old tin last year and it was fantastic!!! I promptly ordered 1lb and jarred it for the future..... :D
I agree with the OP and find this to be surprisingly creamy.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Bulldog Mick - to me, Squadron Leader is in a different taste class since it has much less Latakia than Commonwealth, and of course it has Turkish/Orientals. I could puff SL while driving, for example, whereas CM would demand I sit down quietly and spend time with it :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.