PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsmunoz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2016
Dumb question for you guys, but I don't want to screw this up.
What are you guys doing with your bulk 250 gram packages of Samuel Gawith for cellaring? I am assuming that it should be put into glass jars, but I thought I'd post the question.
Should be worth a good laugh for some of you if nothing else. :laughat:

bryguysc

Can't Leave
Feb 4, 2015
I cut the stack of flakes in half, then pack into two half-pint wide-mouth jars.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I use mason (Ball) jars for my tobacco storage. I've seen people use the food saver machines to seal up their tobacco, but I'm not sure how well the tobacco ages if at all in an air tight storage.

gsmunoz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2016
I think the tightwad side of me was hoping not to have to jar it, but I knew better. Glass is the way to go. Plus it's always better to be safe than sorry.
Thanks guys!

stluisrey

Might Stick Around
Oct 19, 2010
Orange, CA
500 grams SG SJF fits perfectly in a 16 oz mason jar.
20160613_021137591_iOS.jpg

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
A 250 SG bulk container will fit nicely into a one gallon heat sealed (not vacuum) 5 mil metallized mylar bag. Two of them might fit in fact. These bags are completely gas impermeable, are very tough, and will last for many years. Unlike jars they are immune to breakage, a problem with which I've had to deal a couple of times in the past. In addition the bags I use come from Mylar Pro and have a high quality ziplock seal which makes them far better for temporary storage than any grocery store bag. I have small amounts of blends in quart sized bags that are still moist after over a year of un-heat-sealed storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.