PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
I've emailed both companies for an official response, but rumor is they are merging back together after splitting 137 years ago in 1878.
Apparently both companies will keep their respective names and blends, but production of all tobacco will now be held at the Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. location. Samuel Gawith's, on the other hand, will be turned into a snuff museum due to the wooden cogs of the old snuff mill being damaged some time back.
As I said, I'm working to verify and get some sort of official statement.

glynnquelch

Lurker
Feb 12, 2014
Nottingham , UK
I have spoken to Bob at SG this morning and one of the sales managers at gh today and can confirm it's true.
From a smokers side of things, nothing will change its only the trade who will see things alter. From my side of things (retailer) it will make life easier.
Bob made clear that sg tobaccos will be made using not only SG tobaccos but also their staff & equipment.

saint007

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 22, 2013
I have a question about these two blenders. Do they both produce the distinct smelling/tasting Lakelands!
Reason I asked is the only Ga-Hog blend that I've tried and like is their version of Best Brown. This doesn't have that distinct aroma which Lakelands are known for.
My regulars are Sam Gawith Best Brown, Full Virginia flake, St James flake, Balkan flake and now Squadron Leader.
I have an unopened tin of Grousemoor. Would this be a Lakeland?

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
Whenever there is a merger between 2 companies the PR is always "nothing will change" and then after the merger, people are let go, product lines are disconntinued and product formulas change. I do not expect to see an immediate change but I do expect things to change from how they are now. Who knows, maybe we'll all be talking about the new tobacco "Squadron Ennerdale" that they just released!

Status
Not open for further replies.