PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Was at my B&M today and stocked up on some tobaccos, cleaners, etc and one of the great things about the place is that they have somewhere between 50-60 bulk offerings arranged in glass jars just like the old London shoppes I've only seen pictures of. I had an empty pipe in my pocket so I asked (always ask) if I could sample something and of course he said to help myself. I chose to try a bowl of Commowealth as it has been years since I last smoked it and then it was from a tin. I stuck my nose down near the gape of the big jar and inhaled deeply, there was a definate floral aroma albeit very subdued. The Latakia was not pushing itself as I would expect because I could see there was a healthy portion of it in the bulk mixture. At first light things seemed uninspired as I couldn't really pick up anything pushing forward except for a hint of sweetness from the Virginias. This is a thick ribbon cut and it packs nicely and fluffs up high on the charring light so I tamped it, have it a true light and sat back to enjoy what turned out to be a phenomenal smoke! 1/3 into it I started picking up what I can only describe as roasting peanuts. I use that analogy because I used to buy cigars in a place that roasted coffee beans and peanuts on the premises so it was a familiar olfactory sensation. This continued in varying degrees throughout the bowl as it was joined by blasts of mild sweetness and some smokiness like BBQ. I was called away and had to finish the smoke while driving and truthfully, I didn't want it to end. I'll be getting a pound of this bulk mixture later this week and jarring some up for the cellar. Great stuff!

bowler1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 16, 2013
Williamsburg, VA
I really like it too, but it is one of those blends that for me is not consistent...sometimes it is fantastic and other times is lackluster for me. When it is good it is really good though! Nicely balanced and sweet with a good dose of Latakia

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
I have 2 tins of this, one new and one older (no red banner or UPC; no idea how old it is). I can't wait to finish up a couple of other tins and open up a tin of Commonwealth...

May 31, 2012
I love Commonwealth, one of my faves.
It's naturally sweet to my tastes, those Va's are so tasty!
grouchydog,

I think the label art goes like this,
2007 = addition of UPC
2010 = addition of red banner
I also have an old tin I've yet to open, I'm hoping it'll be a mesmerizer!

Mar 31, 2014
It seems that Samuel and Gawith have a solid line of quality tobacco, from what I've seen discussed on this forum. I can't recall anyone saying anything worse than "it just wasn't for me" about this brand...

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Claypipes:
I think that's definitely true. There's one I simply could not stand, but even as I hated the flavor I could recognize that it was fine tobacco. It just happened to smell like sweaty feet and blueberries, which was not what I was looking for in a pipe tobacco.
Bob

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
I know which one he's talking about. I still kind of want to try it. I guess I'm an optimist or something because I'd be focusing on the blueberries and trying to forget the feet... :?

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
claypipes:
It must be a reaction unique to my senses! :) I know there's another smoker here who really enjoys it. And, obviously, my impression must not be universally shared or SG wouldn't still be selling it!
BTW, in case you'd like to try it yourself: Firedance Flake.
Feet aside, I think it's just odd that any blender would release a pipe tobacco connoting hot, burning coals. I mean you can't really call your blend "Firedance" and then say "Smokes cool!" can you? ;)
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.