PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kgill

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 11, 2013
Has anyone else tried this powerful smoke?
I am not intending on posting a scholarly review. I don't know pipe tobacco well enough.

And I am not an experienced smoker, just a dabbler in the pipe arts.
just to say that I finally figured out that this moist tobacco had to be left to dry then broken into flakes for use. It would not stay lit directly from the tin. so I cut a small piece from the end of the rope and letting it dry for a day worked. However I was not prepared for its affect. 4 small drags and I decided it just wasn't a pleasant smoke, perhaps I better come back to it later. I like nasty peaty scotch, and strong Belgian beers, and so on. This stuff is not for me just yet.
In about 5 minutes I suddenly felt my head spinning!!! It took about 20 minutes to clear. Yikes.
So ill have to stick with the aromatics for now. :oops:

Jul 15, 2011
Most of the ropes Ive heard about have enough nicotine to put hair on the hair on your chest. I have been afraid to try 1792 for exactly this reason. I have a tin of Bracken Flake in the cellar that I am a little nervous about. If you want a less strong, more aromatic Sam Gawith offering, I hear Kendal Cream is pretty good and pretty mild, Im about to crack a tin of it myself.

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
I am a nicotine wimp. The worst tobacco configurations for a nicotine wimp are coin and rope tobacco since they are very high in vitamin N. I usually smoke flake tobaccos which are OK, however, I stay away from even some of these since certain flake tobaccos are also high in nicotine.

bcharles123

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
I just tried a tin. I like it. It is strong in flavor but mild on the tongue. Very cigar like for those looking for cigar like pipe tobaccos.

High in nicotine but in the same ballpark as yacht master or nightcap.
A good tobacco to have around and I bet it keeps for a long long time.

bonehed

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 27, 2014
I enjoy #4, as I do all the (natural) ropes...strong and smooth

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Haven't tried the Brown #4 but I did try the Black XX and it sent my head spinning the first time I smoked it. I'm cautious with it now and only enjoy a wee bowl once in awhile. I do really enjoy it as long as I treat it with a little respect. I also have a couple ounces of Coconut Twist that I haven't tried yet....need to give it a try soon. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.