PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

eusebius

Lurker
Jun 19, 2014
Hey all,
My virginal palette has only tried a few aromatics and Frog Mortons Cellar (the latter I am enjoying thoroughly). Since I'm always hearing about people's preferences for certain tobacco types (perique, virginias, burley, orientals, etc), I wonder if anyone wants to recommend good introductory tobaccos for each type. Your wisdom is warmly welcomed!
K

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
As a simple, tasty, pleasant introduction to burley, Carter Hall is an old favorite. Some people can't taste burley; some people

can taste it but don't like it. But if you like burley, it opens the door to a whole range of new and interesting blends.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Welcome to the forum! :D
There are so many blends out there and everyone's tastes are different.
I'll second the Carter Hall for a good OTC / Burley blend ... easy to smoke and good with coffee.
If you like the Frog Morton Cellar you could try the others in that series.

carcosa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2013
Escudo and Dunhill Navy Rolls are great VaPers, along with Peterson's Irish Oak. Peterson's Irish Flake is a new smoke for me but a great one. If you like Latakia, a strong one is 3 Oaks Syrian, and then there's Dunhill My Mixture 965... all great smokes...

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
@eusibius, you should join the PAX tobacco crawl. We are still in our first month, but the participation has been exceptional. We have a group of four people each month that choose four blends (a blend a week) to try. I am the coordinator of those that would like to split tins (tin share) and I put in a small group order and everyone chips in for their share. Last month each of us put in $17 (four guys all together) to share a tin of each blend. Good way to sample different kinds, and with the tin share for a very easy price.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Latakia - Pease "Gaslight"

Virginia/Perique - "Escudo"

Virginia - Rattrays "Hal O' the Wynd" (insufficient Perique to dislodge the blend from this class)

Burley - Solani "Aged Burley Flake"

VA/KY/Perique - Pease "Cumberland"

High Nicotine - GH "Dark Flake" and "Brown Bogie"
These are just my picks; there are many other blends that could be chosen.

kibo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2014
SW PA
I would also support Carter Hall for a good start out smoke. I also recommend Prince Albert. Get familiar with them, and if you like some specific flavors and want to experiment, pipesandcigars.com is a great way to get a wide array to try. Order 1 oz of each new 'baccy, so you don't get stuck with a ton of something you don't like. Some recommendations: if you like scotch then try Peter Stokebye 38 Highland Whisky. If you like cocoa then get Snow Drift. If you like apples, get a tin of Drew Estate Harvest on Hudson. If you decide to go non aromatic, Sutliff Voodoo Queen is a nice spicy smoke. H&H White Knight, Magnum Opus, and Black House are good bold nonaros. Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake is a fine in between kind of tobacco, on the sweet side...again, start out with your CH and PA and take your time learning the ins and outs and pacing.

Status
Not open for further replies.