PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
.... after 3 months since submitting the request on their website. I vaguely remember selecting "non-aromatic" as my preference and today in the post I received a 1.5 oz tin of Sutliff Private Stock Blend No.5 .

Will smoke some of this tomorrow to break in my Pete Aran 999 and let you know how it tastes. My only experience with Sutliff is a rather disappointing one with their "French Quarter" blend.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
If its free it has to be good...
Hmmm.....not exactly. Some stuff I wouldn't smoke again even if I got paid to do so. From what I read about it, it's an English blend, hard to make those bad.
We shall see in the morning.

cynyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
Good luck, rcstan. I got Molto Dolce from them today, myself. Smells like heaven, just hope it isn't full of anti-freeze!

juvat270

Aug 1, 2011
I too received a free tin of "Blend No.5" from Altadis a few months back. I wasn't expecting much when I got it but I think its great stuff, I liked it a lot!

treeder13

Might Stick Around
Apr 16, 2012
Where does one sign up for this offer? And I don't get a bunch of weird spam do I? Rofl my email is bad enough I don't want it coming to the house!

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
http://www.pipeshowonline.net/Request_Altadis.php
I haven't seen an increase in crap mail or crap email, although I have given them the yahoo address which I hardly use.

Jul 15, 2011
Ive tried a few of the different blends from Sutliff Private Stock. Molto Dulce is a good aromatic but burns really moist. Tobac Noir is one of the only all black cavendish blends that I enjoy but I have to be in the right mood for it. My sample tin that I got from them was the Balkan Luxury Blend that just did not taste right to me. I don't know if it was the quality of the leaf or some kind of casing on the blend, but uber said that he really liked the stuff, so it went to him.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I never got my free tin. I live in Canada so I'm sure they had some stipulation in there about not shipping or something. Oh well...a guy sees an offer for free tobacco and he has to, at least, try right?

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
As promised, I broke in my Pete Aran 999 with Blend No 5 about half an hour ago.
Upon opening the tin, I was greeted by the familiar Balkan smell of aromatic herbs, with a slight hint of iodine and some sort of sweetness. Fine ribbons of golden, reddish-brown and black tobacco laid within. Moisture perfect in my book although it felt a bit wet. Took 4 pinches to fill the bowl, this is fairly large by my standards.
I let it sit for about 10 minutes and poured a cup of black coffee. I lit a match. It took fire really well with just the charring light, no relight was needed. Smokey and slightly sweet Latakia aromas with a slight tinge permeated through the first half of the bowl. I tamped the ashes down and there was bit of a spice if exhaled through the nose, almost as if it has Oriental leaf in it ( does it? ). Toward the heel of the bowl, things got a bit wet and needed a stir and relight, but did not turn sour, goopy or nasty.
Very mild on Vitamin N. Burns a tad warm for a Balkan blend but it did not bite. Burns to a white ash. Leaves a pleasant aftertaste.
I was surprised with this blend. It is a really good mild English. Compared to Altadis' bulk Englishes, it's quite a few steps above, on taste and quality. Taste is reminiscent of Frog Morton Original, just not as rounded.

grizzly86

Apr 5, 2012
Just got my sample in today. Blend No5. Will probably try it out tomorrow

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
@griz, if you don't like it, I'll trade ya something for it. I managed to make No5 my main daily smoke so I've been going through that tin like wildfire.
@maduroman : I should have posted a follow-up, this blend can be quirky if it's too wet. There have been a few instances where it tasted really bitter due to the moisture.

grizzly86

Apr 5, 2012
Well, I couldn't wait and ended up smoking a bowl tonight. Sorry rcstan looks like me and #5 are gona get along fine.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
From my recollection Sutiffe Private Stock Blend No. 5 was supposed to be a match-blend for Dunhill My Mixture 965, which is a good, medium-English blend. I think they (Sutliffe) came close to 965 but I've only had the current production, so I can't speak to earlier versions. Blend No. 5 won't make it into my rotation, but it's a nice change every now and then. This said, I don't see myself ordering anymore unless that's all I can get.
-Jason

jonahtke

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2012
Mine arrived from them yesterday, Maple Street. It smells good and I look forward to trying it.

jpbass

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 13, 2011
Baltimore, MD USA
I received Blend No.5, a really good smoke. Lots of Latakia, but it isn't overpowering. It has a creamy smokiness to it, for lack of a better term.

Status
Not open for further replies.