PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitemair13

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2018
North Carolina
At the risk of showing how much of a newb I really am I'll ask this question. Is it safe to smoke the same pipe twice in one day?
Normally I smoke in the evenings, sit and watch the sun set and the birds that visit our feeders. Occasionally I'll smoke after lunch if I have time, is it safe to turn around and use the same pipe later that evening or should I rotate to another pipe?

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Smoke it....
Unless its absolutely hot to the touch, smoke the crap out it :)
That's what pipes are for.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
This is one of those YMMV things. Some people will say don't worry about it; some will say no more than once a day, EVER!; some feel it's OK to do it more than once as long as you then rest it just that many days; etc. I usually go with once a day, rest a day; or 2-3 times a day, then rest at least 2. (Of course, having 677.4 pipes, I can afford to say that. [mock innocent look])

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
>>"That's what pipes are for." -- Don't trust bass. He gets off on people complaining about how their pipes gurgle & burgle all the time. :)

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
hehe...
If it gurgles stuff a pipe clear up the stem while smoking. Better yet, dry that tobacco some more :nana:

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
677.4 pipes
0.4? How does one own 0.4 pipes? Is that like just a stem? :rofl:
I've seen it go both ways too. I've seen guys smoke the same pipe, several times a day, every day. There once was a time when men probably only owned a very few, and even times when they may have only had one. I've also seen guys say they smoke one all day long, clean it at night, then stick it in their rack, picking the next one to smoke tomorrow...all day.
I remember reading an interesting post here, about Mark Twain and how during an interview session with once, I think it was, he would finish a bowl, then just knock it out and toss it into his tobacco pouch. It would fill with tobacco while inside, then he'd pull it out when he was ready for another smoke, which was usually every 5 minutes, light it up and puff away again.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
I usually only smoke a pipe once a day. My dad on the other hand had only one pipe and smoked it all day everyday. Whatever gives you a good smoking experience is what matters.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
>>"0.4? How does one own 0.4 pipes? Is that like just a stem? [:rofl:] "
And here I figured it'd be embers jumping on that one. Shoulda knowed better. }:) Yeah, that was just hyperbole, or hyperbowl, maybe. But yeah, truly -- at the moment one of my Caminettos has a busted stem, so I was subtracting .4 for the stem. As for the part *before* the .4, wellll, that wa' jes' an outright lie. :)

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Chuck Norris says....
yesthumbs-upagreechuck-norrisapproveaccpetable.gif

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've smoked the same pipe multiple times per day for a week before going to the next one for decades to no ill effect.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
We're only talking a couple of bowls here, not 7 bowls on the same day. I like my pipes dry and fairly clean, but if a pipe can't take a couple of bowls back to back, it must be some kind of spongy dud.

upnorth1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2017
La Belle Province, Canada
My great grandfather, grandfather and father pretty much smoked the same pipe. They weren't heavy pipe smokers, maybe 2-3 bowls a day. My great grandfather smoked one bowl at his days end. I wouldn't worry too much unless you're smoking more than several bowls a day.

nitemair13

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2018
North Carolina
Thanks for the replies, figured I'd just make sure it was okay. I thought it would be but wasn't 100% sure. Still had the 0.4 of uncertainty :mrgreen:

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
>>"if a pipe can't take a couple of bowls back to back, it must be some kind of spongy dud." -- Yeah, dot, & my abstract "guidance" ("Your WHAT?! Oh, God, Bill....") notwithstanding, I've got a Nording Signature I usually keep in the car, which means it may get 3-5 bowls in a row & then nothing for 2 days, maybe. No real problems as long as I run a couple of cleaners through it once I'm done. :)

artificialme

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2018
Cleaned the pipe after each use, let it rest for some minutes, then it ready to used again. At least for me :D

Status
Not open for further replies.