Sam Gawith St. James Flake

(9 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by morton
  • Latest reply from mikephillips
  1. morton

morton

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I recently ordered some SG FVF (8oz bulk) and SG St. James Flake (also 8 oz bulk) from PipesandCigars.com and have just gotten them today. I wasted no time trying out the St. James Flake as many here on the forum have said how good it is. Well, I rubbed out a flake and after a good hour of drying time, gently packed one of my meers. What a great smoking experience. I had posted before about my troubles with trying to keep SG 1792 flake lit(bought in bulk as well) and was concerned that I would run into the same issue. No worries. This stuff is GOOD! I'd better order a bunch more before you guys buy it all and I have to bribe Harris for some. I understand now why so many here rave about it. If the FVF is anywhere near as good, I'll be a happy guy!

Be careful what you wish for, as you just might get it.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Those are certainly two quality pipe tobacco blends. I'm happy you enjoy the SJF; I haven't tried that blend as yet.

The SG blends I have smoked all required considerable drying time, so your 1+ hour drying time likely went a long way in helping you enjoy it more.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. morton

morton

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Roth, I was a little worried about the purchase of more SG bulk as I had previously tried everything up to drying the SG 1792 until it was crispy dry and still had trouble keeping it lit. Never before or since have I run into that issue and I smoke a fair number of flakes, bulk and tinned. I am gearing up to try some blending myself and as I quite like Rattray's Red Rapparree, I may try to blend something like your personal mix of VA and Izmir. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

That sounds great, Morton!

I think it is fun and very satisfying, especially if you end up with something that you love, but is not available anywhere else. I find it really helps to take good notes while playing Doctor Frankenstein, though

Another "brilliant" discovery of mine (doh!) is to work with fairly small amounts and let those experimental blends "meld" for a few weeks or more before firing up a sample bowl.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Rothnh: I am smoking St. James right now. It's quickly become one of my favorite VaPers. Knowing your tastes, you might find it a little spicer than you prefer, but it's a smooth tasting smoke. There's a bit of natural Virginia sweetness to it, too. I find it a little spicer than Escudo, if that helps you any. I'd suggest you get a small sample to see if it's too much perique for you. If it's not, I think you'll greatly enjoy it. If most of my stuff wasn't jarred and aging, I'd give you a free sample. The sample I'm smoking right now is nearly gone.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. morton

morton

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'll ante up if you're interested Rothnh. I don't mind sending a flake or two your way if you'd like to try this stuff. I'm going to buy more and cellar it so this stuff will be young but if you want a sample, let me know.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Thanks much Jim & Morton! I do have a few samples coming from some friends that are in the mail now, I just don't know what most of them are hehe. I think a couple flakes are SJF. But I do appreciate the offer. I would have tried it already and will eventually, it's just so often out of stock.

It's almost scary with these tobacco blends that are perennially so hard to get, like SJF, Stonehaven and others... what if I do buy some and I love it? Will I be forever doomed to scouring the 'net and placing phone calls -- consuming me with frustration? Ugh

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Rothnh asked, "It's almost scary with these tobacco blends that are perennially so hard to get, like SJF, Stonehaven and others... what if I do buy some and I love it? Will I be forever doomed to scouring the 'net and placing phone calls -- consuming me with frustration? Ugh [:P] "

Uhhh..... yes.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

what if I do buy some and I love it? Will I be forever doomed to scouring the 'net and placing phone calls -- consuming me with frustration? Ugh

Welcome to my world.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   andypandy, derfargin, shaintiques, pruss