PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 4, 2015
So two days ago I was smoking on some Black Frigate an was really not enjoying it because it was SO darn salty - like ocean water salty in my mouth. I thought I just didn't like the blend.
Yesterday, Escudo, same thing... something is horribly wrong!
For like three days now, I've had a perpetually salty taste in my mouth that's more even more pronounced when I'm smoking (presumably because I'm producing saliva).
A little WebMD self-diagnosis is possibly a slight infection of salivary glands or something that's making this happen - apparently not too uncommon in smokers. In 13 years, give or take, this has never happened before, but it's really off putting. Just wondering if any of you have gone through something similar, where your mouth is just completely out of whack and how did you deal with it?

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Happened to me once or twice. Smoking too much, especially Latakia, is usually the problem.
Previous thread: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/ugh-time-to-stop-for-a-while

May 4, 2015
Thanks for pointing me to that thread, pitchfork.
I have been smoking the living daylights out of Nightcap lately, so maybe I need a time-out.

bcharles123

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
The most likely thing is you need to clean your pipes(s). Even if you think they are clean, clean some more with an alcohol based cleaner. Q tips in the mortise until they come out clean. You would be surprised what lives in there.

May 4, 2015
I clean my cobs with iso religiously. Nothing is living in there, for sure. And it's not just when I'm smoking, so it's not the pipes. I'm leaning towards the above... Just need a break, probably.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I had major salty taste in a freehand Danish bent. I had not cleaned it well when I left off smoking 40 years ago, and man, did the pipe tell me so. Major cleaning as if it were an estate pipe at a flea market, she smokes just fine now.
You "cured" now?

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
Yes Latakia will do that to you for sure. I was smoking spc Mississippi River for a couple weeks and just had that experience with that blend. But it just is such a good blend.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Yep, most definitely not an issue with the pipes, but more of a body chemistry issue i.e. the tobacco, or possibly one particular tobacco. Seems as though you did some Internet search on it so you evidently are aware of the various causes. Simply amazing how the body can give signals to us that something just ain't right, but deciphering those signals is another matter. Then again, lets face some simple, basic and undeniable facts here. Smoking, in any way shape or form is toxic to some extent and therefore will rear it's ugly little head up at times and say to us: 'Hey... WTF are you doing to me!' :wink:

May 4, 2015
It's still lingering. I'm trying to resist and not smoke, but... well, you know.
And I agree, Phil. It IS putting something in the body that's not supposed to be there, so it's surprising that a salty taste is the worst repercussion I've had. Press on, I shall!

gigmaster

Lurker
Jun 30, 2010
Only once. A long time ago someone gave me some really cheap tobacco...I think it was called Navy Flake Anchovy......

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
This happened to me only once and it was after smoking a ton of Latakia.

At the time, HH Latakia Flake tasted "briny".

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
I realize I'm resuscitating an old thread, but it was the first result that popped when I searched "salty."
I'm currently in the midst of a salty tongue phase myself. I think I can attribute it with confidence to excessive smoking that has wreaked havoc on my taste buds. I normally smoke 3 bowls a week, but for the past three weeks I've been smoking that many in a day (my wife and kids are overseas traveling).
I first noticed my tongue needed a break a week ago, but I kept at it and now I'm paying the piper. I realized after chugging through some Seattle Pipe Club Plum Pudding that things were tasting slightly sour, but I pressed on and now when I fire up a bowl it's like I'm sucking on a salt lick. It's that strong!
I took a break today and plan to do the same tomorrow, but with the weekend here I was hoping to have a smoke-a-thon. Guess that's not in the cards this weekend.

May 4, 2015
Hello, old thread-o' mine!
Try Biotine mouth rinse. Might help some! Otherwise, try and cut back until things get back in to whack! I never quit while it was happening to me, and it went away after a while.

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
Oddly enough Biotene gives me a dry mouth at night. Stopped using it and that problem was solved.
When baccy doesn't taste right I immediately know I've been over smoking and I give it a rest for a.while.

Status
Not open for further replies.