PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I love Salty Dogs. The blend was available online a couple of weeks ago and went under the radar. Amazingly, nobody posted an "in-stock" notification for the world to see. It was like the old days: see, click, buy, no worries. Gosh I miss those days. Patience is a virtue. One block, cut in half, fits perfectly in little 2 oz Mason Jars for a long cellar slumber. I am now set for a while.
FtrptdP.jpg

GPto1rX.jpg

lLSd8WB.jpg

SCckMgA.jpg

Dec 24, 2012
It's good stuff. I cellar it and have a fair bit. I just vacuum seal my pouches though. I hate fapping around with jars, these days. However, I did use those same jars in 2012 and 2013 to celler wessex good brick (before I had my vacuum sealer). A wessex gold brick fits perfectly into one of those jars.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Peck,
I've been vacuum sealing a lot lately. I was kinda concerned about doing it for Salty Dogs in their native package. How does it hold up long term? What's the longest aged bag you have opened and was the original tobacco in original pouch good to go after 2-3 years?
BTW, I use the standard Food Saver bags. What do you use?
O4bkoa4.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I keep five of them to a pint jar. Bought up 20 a couple years back for one of my Weavers. Love it too!

Dec 24, 2012
I use a Vacmaster215 and fairly heavy guage bags. You can watch the video below of me sealing some strang. So far I am at about the 3 year mark using that sealer and it works perfect. No issues with the bags. I seal salty dog and have a bunch of condor sealed as well. I also seal those esoterica bags.
https://vimeo.com/143542588

erhardt85

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2017
Jars can be a pain but wouldn't the lack of oxygen in vacuum sealed bags alter aging potential negatively? In my experience having some air in the container really gives a superior outcome. I guess it's also a matter of preference probably.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
What have you done to show "some air" gives a superior outcome? You do realize that there's oxygen in the tobacco even when pressed to a great degree? Did you do side by side testing? What tobacco(s)? How long aged?

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Pricey tool, but compared to a Foodsaver's, the chamber vacuum sealer are apparently much more versatile, plus the bags are a fraction of the cost.
I snapped up some of the Salty Dogs on your recommendation, Neal. In fact, I enjoyed some just this evening. Great stuff.

Dec 24, 2012
As for the oxygen question, there are many tins that are already vacuum sealed and presumably still have some oxygen, but less than the Mccl and C&D "pringles" type tins, and those vacuum sealed tins still age gracefully. I don't see this as any different. Moreover, a light vacuum seal still leaves a bit of oxygen in the bag, in any event.

I expected more from Salty Dog... more flavor, bolder. I didn't expect it to be a so very mild, hardly any flavor type of thing that it is. I made a bold purchase of 12 plugs when it first came out. I keep giving it chances, smaller cubes, trying to rub it out, pulverizing it in coffee grinders. Drying it to crunchy, trying it wet. It just really doesn't have much of any flavor for me. Most Virginia based plugs or blends have at least an acidic flavor, but this one I can barely tell is lit in the pipe. I do get stewed fruits and earthy, but it's so subtle, like if it were a movie on TV, the picture is nice and bright, but the volume has to be turned up to 100% and it is still really quiet, making you strain to hear it. But, it looks nice. :puffy:
For the price, I was really unimpressed. Wessex Gold Brick, now that one is a winner worth the price.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
^^^

Try mixing salty with Peterson 3Ps. I do that often and cube cut. That combo is a great all day smoke when I fish. I like that it’s mild to medium. Lord knows I have lots of other heavy blends in the rotation.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
It's funny how people taste things differently. I prefer SD to WGB. WGB fell a little flat and was too monotone for me.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I wasn’t impressed with Salty Dogs. It was one of the only tobaccos that I’ve tried that smoked best in a clay pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.