Salty Dogs: Drain The Bank Or Walk The Plank?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Peace and Greetings to you all from a very soggy Ohio!
I have been eyeing Dan Tobacco Salty Dogs since it became available here, but because my hobby funds are very limited, and because of the availability of many other fine tobaccos at half the price, I've always talked myself out of buying it. I've learned from reading through the back-pages here that some of you all have tried it, and so I was wondering...in your opinion, is this tobacco worth the price to you? If you've had it, have you ordered it again? Is there another tobacco it compares to very closely, that you'd rather have, or is it unique enough that you're willing to spend a little more for it?
Thank you for your advice!
S

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Yes, worth every penny in my opinion. Real plugs are hard to come by and I would say Salty Dogs is up there with some of the plugs you can only get overseas. I bought two a few months ago and I plan on buying several more to stock up deep for the cellar. 4Noggins has the best price on them that I've seen. Please, just leave some for me as well. :)

B18

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2015
I Would say it all depends on you. I like the blend but i can't compare it with most VAPERS i have tried. (most vapers i've tried are of DTM). But for me (a vaper lover) this is a lovely blend.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Haha don't worry, Hawky...I shouldn't even buy one at this point, but a little extra spending every so often won't be too detrimental to my finances. I mean, if I'm going to be living in a cardboard box, I might as well have something good to puff on when I'm begging for change, right? haha! THanks for the heads-up on the best price, too!
Brendan, thanks for your input. I think I better get a pouch.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
I thoroughly enjoyed it. Got some in a group buy, smoked some, cellared some. Although I really, really liked it I can't justify the price. Peterson 3P's & Wessex Gold Brick may be different but they satisfy my plug tobacco needs at less than half the price. At least give it a try I love it.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Thanks, Cosmic! Fortunately I can only allow myself one this time. I'm still trying to reserve funds for when Stonehaven is back in stock somewhere, as I've never tried it yet and was really pleased with Penzance, and since I am primarily a Virginia or VaPer smoker, I'm hoping Stonehaven will be equally as tasty.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
If your funds are limited I don't know why you'd spend about twice as much on something.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Davet and StValentine, Thanks for sharing! It seems like enough of you guys recommend it that I feel comfortable spending on it.
Andy, surely you know that sometimes things can be worth a bit of sacrifice! :) There are many reasons one can find to smoke a pipe, and one reason for me is the enjoyment of trying new-to-me tobaccos in the great search for "The One." I'm envious of those who can be forever content with a tub of SWR and a cob. That doesn't suit me, though. I like to have a pipe and a tobacco for every mood, and unfortunately it appears as though I have many many moods...

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
If you want to try plugs and don't mind spending money;
plug_header.jpg

A whole bunch of wonderful right there :worship:

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
That's awesome as I've never heard of any of those, davet! I shall excitedly research them.
Being on the subject, I just learned that Sam Gawith offers plugs of St. James Flake, but I think they aren't available for purchase in the US. Is that correct? I'd love to have some st. James plug!

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I know what you mean as regards to finances. I'm really having to watch what I spend and where I was spending up to $600 every two weeks for most of 2016 I now have to slow it down to roughly $100 a month and it's extremely hard for me to do. I was lucky enough to come across a little extra money last year but now, with a new baby at home, we are aggressively trying to pay off all debt to free up our budget in the near future. I have been cellaring tobacco seriously since 2010 so I have a very nice cellar but then I come across a new (to me) blends and I've just gotta go deep with em.
Good plugs shown up there by Dave T. Unfortunately the Velvan & Erinmore have since been taken off the market and I think Troy literally bought all of the remaining stock of the Velvan Plug. He wasn't greedy with it though as he sent out free plugs in his Velvan Plug Wake thread on another forum. What a good chap that guy is.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I have all of the plugs in davet's post. Unfortunately the only one now in production is Yachtsman. There is some Mick McQuaid still available at some European shops but once it's gone, that's it. I can't fathom why Yachtsman would be the survivor but there it is.

I smoke Salty Dogs quite a bit and like it a lot. I also smoke 3P's and stock up because it's still readily available here in the USA.

If you like the dense plugs from Europe then stock up as they are an endangered species. There is nothing made in the USA that compares in my opinion.

davidy97

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2017
Tx
I liked it but i didn't rush out and buy 5 more for the cellar. Peterson 3ps is good too.

Status
Not open for further replies.