PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
Some years the house is warm and friendly during the holiday season, this year is not one of them.
We got news yesterday that my wife's brother passed away after a three year long battle with cancer. Specifically, he had multiple myeloma that attacked many of his organs and immune system. He was only seventy one years old, too young in today's standards. He lived a good life in New York City and worked as a programmer for the city fire department. At least he was able to spend a few good years enjoying retirement before passing. Rest in Peace Tommy.
To make matters worse, my best friend, my Labrador retriever Ebony, had to be put down last week. She lived with us for fourteen years, and was gentle, kind, and watchful over the entire family. I truly miss her. She and I had a good way of communicating, she knew exactly what I wanted of her, and she let me know what she needed. She stood guard at my daughter's bedside during the three years of her illness. Rest in Peace Ebony.
Sorry to bring sadness to the forum, folks. I just needed to get it off my shoulders. Thanks, and I hope your holiday is a warm, friendly one.

guhrillastile

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 29, 2013
Sad news. But I'm glad you shared it. A toast with coffee and pirate cake to neither being forgotten. Condolences, Sir.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
My heartfelt condolences to you and your family, werdna. In times of difficulty, it is always comforting to have a good dog by your side. This must be very difficult. Many of us have been where you are now, and commiserate with you in your loss.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers. These are heavy burdens to bear around the holidays,

but maybe there is some comfort and solace in knowing you have our best wishes for the whole family.
p.s. I think Ebony would want you to take in a shelter dog as soon as possible.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Werd, I felt your pain last year, lost Ki , my Catahoula who was with me night and day, I have a new friend PEmon and we are learning each other, as for your other loss I have no words, hope you get thru this, my thoughts are with you.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
Sorry for your loss on both occasions. I am one of those people that feel the passing of a dog is just as impactful as a person passing. Especially a black lab. There is something special about them. My Lab Rogue sleeps on the kids beds and patrols the house at night. He is very protective of the kids and great all around dog. To lose him would be like losing my best friend. Please extend my condolences also for your wife's brother. Cancer is an insidious problem in this world that I am not sure why we have not been able to eradicate. Certainly not for the amount of research and funding it has received. I hope you are able to make the best of the holidays in spite of your losses. I agree with the comment that another member made. Rescue a dog this year as your Christmas present to each other. There is something special about the relationship of a rescue dog. It's as if they know you saved their life. If you want a specific breed search for a breed specific rescue. There are many around. Don't let your love die with Ebony. She would want that for you and your kids. All the best for the holidays. I will say a special prayer for Ebony and your brother in law tonight.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
My condolences. I know how it feels to lose a loved one around the holidays. My grandmother passed on Christmas Eve several years ago. Hang in there.

terrygoldman123

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
Good in that you were able to share your feelings and thoughts. Deep condolences. Hug your wife often and don't wait too long to get a new puppy.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Werdna, I'm sorry for your losses and send my good wishes for steady healing in your family and for you.

Part of that healing will be that both your brother-in-law and your faithful dog Ebony led full, rich lives.

Few better places to live than in New York City, if you make the first adjustment. My wife lived there for

many years, and we always joked (I'd commute up there when we were dating) that just sitting and having

coffee and reading the paper made you feel like you were part of some larger important event. It's just

one of the most dynamic cities in the world. I still mourn past companion animals, even with three little

beings supervising my every move. Sadly, they don't live as long as we'd like, but what closeness they bring

to us while they're here. It's pretty wonderful, and finally, worth the sadness when the go. And they never

quite go, do they?

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
Thanks everyone for your good wishes.
Brad, I've been following your adventures with Pemon, and wish you the best with him.
Cortez and piperl12, when the time is right, we'll be going to our shelter to adopt another dog. I think I have one more dog in me, before my days are over.
Edit: I think I'll be offline for a few days, while we take care of family business.

Status
Not open for further replies.