Sad, sad day! Oh, the lamentations that spring from this horror!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

werebear

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2014
So, I live in an apartment building and the apartment under mine caught on fire. Can't even stay in my apartment due to the smoke damage. Worst part, my pipes taste like burning plastic and I don't know what to do.

sidious

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 30, 2014
Sorry to hear about that werebear. I hope everyone is okay, and that your pipes and other treasures can be saved.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Glad your ok Bud! Id think that salt treatments or the like will help. Also the incident is fresh in your mind and that effects things. Sometimes when I eat crab I think I smell them for days on my body. I believe it in my mind is all.

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
Atleast you're ok, but I would try captainsousie's suggestion of Sending to Walkers for Ozone treatment.

B

necron99

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2014
Wow man, sorry for the bad luck. I hope things get better from here for ya.

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
Very sorry to hear this, you may need to have them cleaned.

There are place's online that do that. :puffy:

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
At the risk of being somewhat repetitive, three methods that will work:

1. Salt and alcohol treatment. May fix the problems with the bowl, won't do anything for the stems. However, soaking the stem in Oxyclean may help. Then you will need to polish it.

2. GLP's "ghosts be gone treatment" is, IMHO more effective for the bowl. See above for stems.

3. What I would do: send my pipes to www.walkerpiperepair.com and let Mike solve the problem for you. His Ozone treatment will remove any trace of odor. Your pipe will smell like new--guaranteed. It's $5 for the first pipe and $2 for each additional pipe. If I get an estate pipe that's in totally disreputable condition, I send it to Mike and he sends it back completely sanitized, looking and smelling like new. Check out the prices for his various services. You won't have the use of your pipes for a few weeks, so you may need to pick up a couple of cobs at your local drugstore, but Mike's services always work.

werebear

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2014
Thank you all for worrying for me! Everyone did get out safe and I don't think the s/a treatment will work but I can try. There was so much smoke coming out of my apartment that the tweed and pd couldn't tell which was on fire at first. You can look it up online, crestview manor apartment fire, that should get you to it. Thanks shaintiques, I will once again be indebted to you, thank God I put my baccy in some little mason jars. Well most of it anyway.

werebear

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2014
Ps. Mines the apt. Above the one that burned and there is no fire damage to my apt but the amount of smoke that came through it was ridiculous. No renters ins, but the people who own it are paying for it to be professionaly cleaned. Well their ins is.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Glad you're ok, sorry that life has become a hassel.

Ozone treatments at Walkers run $5 for the first pipe and anything after is $2.50. Hopefully you have renters insurance, but if the person below you was negligent, they might be responsible (I know, try to collect).

Good luck, glad you weren't hurt.

werebear

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2014
Her kids set the fire, 4 and 6, so she isn't being charged with anything, but no insurance. Hope my electronics aren't damaged. I won't get back in til Wednesday. They say we can live in it now but idont want my wife or kids breathing that crap in.

Status
Not open for further replies.