PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
I stumbled upon some news tonight that I hadn't heard before (maybe I just missed it on here).
Paul Hubartt of Larrysson pipes has stopped making pipes full time as a result of an injury to his finger of unknown origin. In the link below he says he will still try to make pipes as a hobby now and again, but has only produced one pipe so far this year. Luckily, as explained in the link, he was insured and has managed to find employment. I am a big fan of Paul's pipes so this is sad news from my perspective.
http://www.larryssonpipes.com/news.php

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
That is very sad news. But I'm happy that Paul has found a congenial opportunity to move to. One of my favorite pipes is a Larryson wax drip that I bought several years ago. He's a very talented carver, one of the best.

rx2man

Part of the Furniture Now
May 25, 2012
I knew I knew his name, my 1st commision asked me if I could duplicate or make something similar to the tree bark pipe. The one where it looks peeled off. I looked at it and immediatly knew it was way above my skill level and will be for some time. Or I should say I hope I will reach his level of craftsmanship. Some really beautiful pipes.

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
Glad to hear he's not dead or starving or anything. It's sad news, but not that sad. I love his workshop and his take on traditional shapes. I was also excited about the prospect of being able to afford one of his L Series pipes.
His workshop is seriously amazing. Go look if you haven't seen it.

delkhouri

Can't Leave
May 4, 2013
Columbus Ohio
So in my browsing of ebay today I found 5 Larrysson pipes listed as being new and made in 2015. So I quickly shot Paul an email asking if he is making pipes again and got this response.
Yes! I have started pipe making again. As I described, those pipes are on ebay so people can see that I'm producing again, and hopefully my own site will get attention again. Apparently it's working!
Best,

Paul
The pipes he listed on ebay are also listed on his website. This is good news indeed as Paul makes a fine pipe.

rockvillepete

Might Stick Around
Feb 21, 2013
I read about his injury a while back and thought I also saw that he was making pipes again. I'm very glad this is the case. Paul makes an awesome pipe! I bought four or five from him back in 2007 or 2008 when he was still relatively unknown and his prices were low. :P
I've continued collecting his pieces and they have steadily increased in beauty and complexity. This bent poker I picked up from Max Engel has some of the most amazing ring grain I've ever seen!
9969857055_47cca58a1f_o_d.jpg

9969877054_f2ede4ab1f_o_d.jpg

Paul's pipes are fantastic smokers too; some of the best in my collection.

delkhouri

Can't Leave
May 4, 2013
Columbus Ohio
Paul has two categories of pipes that he makes.

1) A handmade line with handcut stem that used to run $300-$500 and

2) A hand carved pipe with a pre-molded stem that runs in the $150 range
I have seen many pipe makers take this approach (Tim Thorpe, BriarBird aka Jason Cochey, Trevor Talbert, Clark Layton, etc.)
The listed pipes are in the second category. I can't speak for the stems, their thickness, or their comfort, as I only have a pipe with a handcut stem. The handcut stem is very comfortable. I am really tempted by those fat boys tho.
My Larrysson Prince:

20150223_221148-600x337.jpg

jon11

Oct 25, 2013
That is good news! I have a few of his pipes and he has some real talent. Glad he is back in the game!

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Great to hear, i have been following his pipe making for a while now and it is good to hear he is back in the saddle again. I remember when Peck posted this thread, but when i saw the title i first thought it was a new thread and that something unfortunate happened to him. Glad it turned out to be an updated post. Thanks for updating us!

Status
Not open for further replies.