PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I enjoy the FX television show "The Americans". This season, a story line centered around the smuggling of biological weapons out of the US. The weapon was transferred in a pipe tobacco tin. In the finale, they did a close up of the tin and I post two pictures below.
The tobacco tin is labeled "Sachem Blend". The information on the inside and cover include:

"Grown and Manufactured in Virginia (the show is set in the DC area)

Made Make (which doesn't make sense)

Sachem Tobacco Blend Company of Virgnia

Sachem Hill Farm
I can't find any information about a "Sachem Blend" so I can only conclude that the show made up the tin as a prop. It's interesting that they wouldn't just grab and old tin but go to that detail level.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Very interesting and cool, Al. A Sachem was a term used by the Algonquians for their head chief in New England 400 years ago. As for a tobacco blend, I think it is a prop made for the show and a fine one it is.

Sep 18, 2015
Pretty sure it's a made up prop, I think if they were to use an actual tin they have to pay royalties or something to that effect. Nice catch!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Could be critical in next year's season... Tune in and find out! Same time, same channel—or not.
Thanks for the closeup. My last ep didn't record, but is rescheduled for tonight. Can't wait!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Ah, good catch on the Morley cig's!
The premise is a tad far-fetched, but it is a decent show. I enjoy seeing the cars and they stay pretty consistent to the time-line.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Brilliant, Al!
Watched the episode the other night and just knew that was a pipe tobacco tin. What a great couple of screen caps you've posted.
Thank you.
Fnord

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
LoL! I'm happy to read that I'm not the only sap with enough time on my hands to research "Sachem Blend"! I love this show and was on it as soon as I watched it Wednesday night. I haven't caught up with the after show podcast but I know they pride themselves in being spot on to the day with the show in historical accuracy but they can't always afford the rights to everything. 8O

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Living pretty close to DC, I can tell that most of the outdoor scenes are not shot in DC (they shoot in NYC). That is the only detail that bugs me.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Interesting fact.
Also, the cigarettes that Constantine smokes in the movie (Constantine - 2005) are not real Chinese made cigarettes. The name means "Yangtse River" and the package was a special design for the film.
img14.jpg

ericthered

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
Made Make (which doesn't make sense)
Inside the white box of the packaging the text in the upper left appears to say "REGISTERED" and the text in the upper right looks like "TRADE MARK" to me.
If it is a fictitious blend made just for the show, they definitely did their research!

Status
Not open for further replies.