Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Sabbatical Thoughts 1 - A Toast "To Absent Friends" (long and rambling)

(33 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by flakyjakey
  • Latest reply from flakyjakey
  1. flakyjakey

flakyjakey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My three months is up! I have finished the labour on my research article. I have also spun out a company ‘Edinburgh Medical Imaging’. The process of securing VC funding has been painful in the extreme, with three founders, five (!) different sets of lawyers etc, etc. But a couple of weeks ago ‘Epidarex Capital’ stumped up a significant investment to achieve start-up.

For the past week I have been convalescing in a remote highland cottage – just me, the dog, two pipes and half a dozen tobacco blends. Oh, and many bottles of wine and port!

I have started looking in to the Forums again. As expected, with the inevitable ebbs and flows of such a website, there are many new members who I am looking forward to exchanging posts with, and I am delighted to see old friends still here – Pruss (for his general piping knowledge, and frank kindness); Sable (what would I do without his Barling erudition?); Woodsroad (what would the Forums be without his cutting yankee humour?); the sardonic wit of Peck; MSO, Pitchfork, Petes, Papapiguy, Fnord, Latbomber and many, many more. Hello to you all!

But some seem to be missing:

- Rothn left, seemingly irretrievably, just before my ‘sabbatical’. His inexhaustible patience and advice, especially to newcomers, was invaluable.
    - Rebornbriar was an authority on British and Irish pipes and on pipe restoration in general.
    - Misterlowercase was our piping historian – how he dredged up some of his fascinating material will remain a mystery to me. He was unfailingly polite and kind to all.
    - The irrepressible Harris I was told has suffered serious medical problems. I hope he gets better and comes back soon – his ‘ding-dongs’ with Peck were a highlight of the Forums.

There are probably more absentees that I haven’t yet spotted.

So last night I raised a glass (actually it was a whole bottle of Ch Beaucastel 2001!!) and drank a silent toast:

“To absent friends: – HASTE YE BACK!!!”

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. pruss

pruss

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Your return, friend, could not have been more timely.

I am already salivating over the five course discussions and a sharing quaffs of witty aperitifs.

-- Pat

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

The ever present ebbs and flows of pipe forums (actually, all forums). It is always troubling when members drop off the radar map due to health related issues.

Al

Posted 5 years ago #
  4. flakyjakey

flakyjakey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@pruss, I've just remembered that like me you are an old 'rugger bugger'. At 15.00 UK time today England are playng Wales in a key game that will effectively decide the Six Nations Championship. It will be a fierce encounter and I will be watching it closely. If you fancy tuning in it will be televised live on BBC.

Posted 5 years ago #
  5. pruss

pruss

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wish I could Flaky, I'm unfortunately without BBC, I'll have to rely on the web for updates. The only problem, for me, with an England v. Wales match is who to root against loudest! Lol

-- Pat

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. flakyjakey

flakyjakey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@Al, absolutely, if anyone is in contact with Harris please would they pass on my best regards and wishes for a speedy recovery.

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. dread

dread

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome back. Though much newer and less knowledgeable than the members you mentioned, I just returned to the site after a brief hiatus and miss those members as well. I am a candidate for the permanent Dean position at my school (I am the interim now). I was considering seeking a sabbatical, for which I am due, as compensation for getting beat up in the non-stop sparring match that being a Dean entails. I'd love to chat with you about your experience if that comes to fruition.

". . . I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul."
    - INVICTUS
    Posted 5 years ago #
  8. flakyjakey

flakyjakey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@dread, happy to do so. What is your academic field? Please send me a PM anytime.

Posted 5 years ago #
  9. dread

dread

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Heh, heh, after your comments about 5 sets of lawyers - ummm, Law. :). But my focus is on consumer law, consumer finance, and critical legal studies particularly focusing on how the law interacts with consumer classes. I KNOW there is a pipe subject to be addressed in there somewhere, I just KNOW it!

Posted 5 years ago #
  10. latbomber

latbomber

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome back! Sounds like you will need some pipe and wine therapy for at least a few more weeks!

Posted 5 years ago #
  11. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Flakey,

It is very nice to have you back! Congratulations on completing your research. Congratulations, also, on your new enterprise, though it seems an excessive effort just to determine what your neighbors wear under their kilts.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 5 years ago #
  12. flakyjakey

flakyjakey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@dread, I was dean for research at the medical school for ten years, and loved it. I was being set up for dean of the medical school, but decided against it mostly because it would have meant listening to people I didn't like! Are you sure you want the pain?! Send me a PM if you find yourself in the dean's position.

@latbomber, thanks. I'm not sure if I have any more to give - I have already been smoking like a steam locomotive and drinking like a.......well.....jakey for the last three months!!

@sable, that is strangely true. The imaging is based on novel fibreoscopy - so I can not only look under their kilts, I could tell you what is in their rectum!!

Posted 5 years ago #
  13. ravkesef

ravkesef

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome back, Flakey. As you can see from examining the forum posts, some have come, some have gone. Plus ça change, ...

Eric
    Posted 5 years ago #
  14. flakyjakey

flakyjakey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@ravkesel, thanks - I have probably missed a few, but then again there seems to be a large posse of new members!

Posted 5 years ago #
  15. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

misterlowercase still posts, thank goodness! I always enjoy what he shares.

Posted 5 years ago #
  16. yazamitaz

yazamitaz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Glad to have you back flaky, I did miss your wit

Posted 5 years ago #
  17. flakyjakey

flakyjakey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@sable, that's the best news I've heard today, even including England trouncing Wales in rugby!

@yazamitaz, thanks - would that be a whole wit or a halfwit?

Posted 5 years ago #
  18. yaddy306

yaddy306

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Congrats and welcome back, flakyjakey!

Posted 5 years ago #
  19. flakyjakey

flakyjakey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@yaddy, thanks. Is that your original avatar? I don't remember it being so.........strange!

Posted 5 years ago #
  20. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great to see you on the forums, again, flakey. Sounds like an incredibly productive -- and exhausting -- three months.

Posted 5 years ago #
  21. flakyjakey

flakyjakey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@pitchfork, thanks - I'm so exhausted I can hardly lift a glass, let alone a clunky 'Danishoid' artisan pipe!

Posted 5 years ago #
  22. bigboi

bigboi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welome back
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6o0Cah5kQU

“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgement in all human affairs.”
    -Albert Einstein, 1950
    Posted 5 years ago #
  23. flakyjakey

flakyjakey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@bigboi, thanks - I listened all the way through until the dog bit me because I was snoring! The sentiment however is truly appreciated!!

Posted 5 years ago #
  24. User has not uploaded an avatar

rmason

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's great to see you again Flaky, and I can't believe it's been 3 months.
    P.S. Dread what school? if you don't mind my asking.
    ~Ron

Ron
    Posted 5 years ago #
  25. dread

dread

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

rmason, University of Idaho College of Law.

Posted 5 years ago #
  26. pipenscotch

pipenscotch

Login to Send PM

Welcome back flakey! As a new member I'm looking forward to the friendships that I'll be making on this wonderful site

“The fact is, Squire, the moment a man takes to a pipe, he becomes a philosopher. It’s the poor man’s friend; it calms the mind, soothes the temper, and makes a man patient under difficulties. It has made more good men, good husbands, kind masters, indulgent fathers, than any other blessed thing on this universal earth.”
    -”Sam Slick, The Clockmaker”
    Posted 5 years ago #
  27. User has not uploaded an avatar

rmason

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

rmason, University of Idaho College of Law.
    I had a sneaking feeling about this, I leave for U of I for the fall semester.
    ~Ron

Posted 5 years ago #
  28. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

flakey, looks like we came back at the same time. Congrats on getting the new company started, I am sure it was a very stressful time for you. Glad to hear you were able to take some time off to decompress. A cottage, pipes, tobacco, fine wines and ports and most important your dog, sounds like heaven to me.

Harris
    Posted 5 years ago #
  29. User has not uploaded an avatar

plateauguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome back! Glad to hear things are going well. I'll raise a glass of wine and have a smoke in honor of Harris and your return!

Posted 5 years ago #
  30. allan

allan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Flakey

I remember you mentioning that you were going to withdraw for awhile. Congrats on your new endeavors.

Good to see you back.

Allan
    Posted 5 years ago #
  31. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wow, flakey and Harris have both returned. These are good days. Glad to have you back Flakey.

Posted 5 years ago #
  32. petes03

petes03

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome home Flaky, it's good to have you back!

Posted 5 years ago #
  33. flakyjakey

flakyjakey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@Harris,thanks - yes this a perfect place: a stone-built cottage on the banks of Loch Awe in the western Highlands. Pauline dropped me off last week, so I'm stranded! But with two pipes, six blends, a dozen and a half claret and four bottles of port I think I should be okay. Flo (my labradoodle bitch) loves it here - I've been teaching her how to swim in the loch - and it enhances the experience for me. She is indeed my best friend, my only friend at the moment; I haven't seen another human since Pauline left!!

@plateauguy, allan, peck and petes - thanks, it's good to be back!

Posted 5 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   elpfeife, mso489, sasquatch, alaskanpiper, jaytex969, steveg11, pylorns, mikethompson, dcon, litup, brooklynpiper