PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ignaciojn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2016
I apologize if this topic breaks forum rules. The rule is clear about electronic devices, but no so much about RYO cigarettes.

I had doubts about making this post, but I value the input from this community very much.
I'm still smoking and enjoying my pipe, but for diverse reasons I've fallen back to cigarettes. (stress, time constraints, portability, stupid anti-tobacco legislation -it's much easier to sneak a cig outside than a pipe-).
While it's a release and I enjoy the habit, the taste is just awful.
My tobacco supplier sells a RYO combo (RAW organic natural tobacco, OCB organic papers, Gizeh filters and a funny machine for putting it all together). I've bought one, and while I wait for it to arrive I'd like to make a few questions:
1. In your experience, is it possible (and probable) to replace the awful commercial cigarettes with RYO?

2. I'm not expecting the same experience as with my pipes, but will the taste be an improvement?

3. Actually, more than specific questions, I'd love some general advice and comments about RYO.
It will be my first time making (and I'm just terrible with handiwork) and smoking a RYO, so please bare with me.
Again, if this topic breaks forum rules, I apologize and will understand if it's deleted.
Thank you kindly.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
There are too many luxury cigarettes available for me to even consider rolling my own. My brand of choice does not use chemically infused paper.
And yes, I believe we are restricted to pipes with cigars being allowable discussion material.

ignaciojn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2016
Sadly, there are not luxury cigarettes available in my town. Only the usual brands.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Drum is a very good tobacco, and commonly available in smoke shops (the kind of smoke shops potheads use). It is a shag cut, so with a tighter pack it will also smoke in a pipe just fine. Most of the gas-station type RYO tobaccos taste like smoking hay wrapped in cardboard (Bugler, Top, Kite, etc.).
There is no reason RYO's can't replace nasty factory cigarettes, and they do taste better, IMO.

Most RYO blends were merely Value Blends of pipe tobacco, with minimal casings, if any. Most RYO bagged blends are excellent tobaccos, whether smoked in your pipe or rolled. It has not gone through the process that pre-packaged cigarette tobaccos have, and have way less chemicals.

Also, FYI, I believe that most RYO bagged tobaccos are prepared by the companies that we pipe smokers have come to know very well.
Before I quit cigs for the pipe full time, I have added tins of pipe tobaccos to the bagged blends to "spice" them up a bit, especially latakia to simulate some of those older cigarette blends like Chesterfields that you can't find any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.