PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
I received my first ever commission last weekend. It is a Ryan Alden morta bulldog. It was inspired by the Dunhill 5217 and has a green Cumberland stem. I am thrilled. I have smoked two bowls including a long smoke of BF last night. It has a smooth open draw and is a great smoker. It is really hard to see how awesome this pipe is by the pictures, but here are a few.

pipe-008-600x311.jpg

pipe-009-600x311.jpg

pipe-014-600x311.jpg

pipe-016-600x311.jpg

sam_0729-600x450.jpg

sam_0731-600x450.jpg

sam_0734-450x600.jpg

posaydal

Lurker
Dec 6, 2015
Serbia
Damn, i love it. I it ok for me to ask how much did it set you back? I would love one almost the same as that.... Maybe a bit bent.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Interesting treatment for the mortise. I am guessing it's a delrin or delron whichever...insert?

How much does this gorgeous pipe weigh? I'm of the impression that Morta is even lighter than briar.

That profile view really demonstrates what a very special pipe this is. That stem line is almost too fine!

stanlaurel

Jan 31, 2015
Yes, delrin lined mortise. Yes, it is very light. Ryan said it weighs 48g but it doesn't seem that heavy.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
Man, that's beautiful! That green stem really sets off the dark wood.
What's the deal with Morta, by the way? I understand that it's actually petrified wood, correct? Is it just a cosmetic alternative or does it offer any particular advantages or disadvantages over briar?

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
Fantastic looking pipe! I love that he didn't over-round the point at which the shank meets the bottom of the bowl in the side profile and how wide the bowl flairs. Some sort of bulldog will certainly be my next Alden commission ... once the Canadian dollar climbs out of the wreckage it's currently in that is. May be a while.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Sweet, sweet pipe. A really nice take on the shape and one that really takes advantage of the medium. The stem choice is inspired. I love cumberland and don't think I would ever commission a pipe with a black stem at this point. He really worked it to get the best grain from that rod and could have just as easily given you a drab piece. Gotta appreciate the fine details. That's where the real talent lies.

bungee

Can't Leave
Oct 31, 2015
Love it. One of the nicest and better executed modern bulldogs I have ever seen.
Enjoy!

May 31, 2012
Ryan just keeps getting better and better, that thing is spot on the mark and an object of exquisite beauty.
He's one of my favorite pipemakers and is the maker of the sweetest-smoking pipe that I own.
You got a great pipe there,

congrats and smoke 'er well!

:puffy:

fordm60

Dec 19, 2014
Now that is one hell of a pipe!! I ashamedly did not know about green cumberland! I have a few red cumberland stemed pipes. But that green is very aesthetically pleasing, bet I know my next commissioned pipe stem color! Congratulations on a stunning pipe!

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Thanks Stan. I really appreciate that. I have been thinking about a morta bully for a while now and you just HAD to show that. I am glad to see that Ryan has started carving my favorite shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.