PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
My Alden Lovat is an astounding pipe, both in its smoking characteristics and its aesthetic appeal. Ryan just makes fantastic pipes, so when I started getting cutty-curious he was the only option.
Working with Ryan on a pipe is always a gratifying process. I had some ideas about how I wanted this pipe to come together, even produced some sketches describing some of the specifics. The great thing about Ryan's work is that you can give him final cut and retain piece of mind, knowing that he will produce a fantastic pipe.
It's all done and looks amazing! I simply can not wait to have this cutty in my hand.
y1Aip7e.jpg

84mjz10.jpg

F0OqYZ0.jpg

sRMmQjx.jpg

Images care of lonestar

Dec 24, 2012
Very nice, my man, you are on a roll. Ryan makes an awesome pipe, and I say that even though he completely avoided me in Chicago.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
not wanting to high Jack your thread, lovely pipe you have, wanted to show you what Ryan made for me about 3 years ago, one of my very favorites. By the way yours is so nice. Love his work and he's a Good Person.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Drezz, that's a wonderful example of the shape. Well done.
Ryan's blast is also totally on point in this pipe, it really compliments the shape.
What did he use for the shank extension? It's hard to tell in the photos.
-- Pat

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Drezz, that is an amazing pipe! I love cutty shapes, but they seem to be so popular, I can seldom afford them. Ryan outdid himself on that one however. Simply stunning!

And Brad, your pipe is wonderful too. I guess I'll smoke my little clay cutty tonight to celebrate that shape... Have a good one cutty fans! :puffy:

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I love 'cutty' pipes as it is all that I own. That being said I could never get on with the briar or any wood version of the things. Clays, meerschaum then I am your guy, give me a briar one it just doesn't do anything for me. Makes the tobacco taste odd. Maybe I am just an old fart set in my ways but 'hey' if briar floats your boat then I am happy for you!

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
What did he use for the shank extension? It's hard to tell in the photos.
It's horn to match the band on the lovat he made me. This particular section has very subtle variegation of colour which Ryan said hasn't photographed very well. He said the same of the stain so I am anxious to get this pipe in hand. When my lovat came in I was absolutely floored by the blast even though I had already seen pictures of it - I'm expecting I'll have a similar experience with this piece and I'll make sure to update you all when it comes!
That's a fantastic looking Alden you've get there too Brad!
Simply elegant and the stem treatment really sets it off. Enjoy.

Ryan and I talked about the shank extension/band/stem quite a bit! My original sketch had a faux military mount (as the final version has) with a saddle stem. Ryan liked the idea but advised me that the extra step in the saddle may not suit the cutty so he suggested a sort of fishtail tapered stem - frankly seeing the finished product I wouldn't have had it any other way!
We talked quite a bit about the shank extension as well. Ryan was concerned that the extension on my original sketch looked too much like the carver didn't have a long enough piece of briar :lol: I ended up giving him final cut with the proportions since his eye for these things is spot on. Couldn't be happier!
For reference, here is the original sketch which seeded the discussion of what this pipe could be along with several images of other cutties done by Ryan and others. In my opinion, everywhere the finished product deviates from this sketch was absolutely the right choice! It's fantastic working with Ryan because he will take the time to explain his view and he will take the time to listen to yours. The result is a truly collaborative piece that takes your half-baked ideas and tempers through his immense knowledge and experience to produce something really special!

N851TuZ.jpg

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
even though he completely avoided me in Chicago.
You're not giving me enough credit... I've avoided you everywhere, not just in Chicago :nana: Maybe next year I'll break my winning streak.
When my lovat came in I was absolutely floored by the blast even though I had already seen pictures of it
My terrible photography skills in action ! At least the surprise is a pleasant one hahaha

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
I also just recently received one of Ryan's pipes and am smoking it as I type on this dreary Wednesday morning. Only my 4 th bowl so still breaking her in but this thing smokes itself. I just LOVE the blast. It was the brandy blowfish if you go to his site. Can't seem to get the link to copy on an iPad.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Drezz, that is a beautiful pipe, congrats!

I would like to get Ryan to commission a Morta author for me.

Happy puffing.

Chris

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
Well, this was one of the best lunch breaks I've had in a while! I'm lucky enough to live two blocks away from my place of work; I popped home for lunch and found a package waiting for me.
I only had a couple of minutes to fawn over it but I am beyond pleased. The pronounced angles and gentle curves of the cutty shape are nicelt countered by the faux-military mount. It seems elegant and substantial at the same time and the stem adds a nice moment of interest to balance the movement happening further forward. The craftsmanship is just damned impressive as well. I certainly didn't foresee the effort and detail it would take to pull off such a diminutive faux-military mount on a narrow shank.
The finishes really don't do themselves justice in pictures. The stain has subtle variegation which compliments the very fine blast. The smooth rim and the thin band just ahead of the bone inlay provide little accents of colour in an otherwise subdued finish. The bone inlay is deep and rich: just barely translucent. At first it appears to be black vulcanite, but once you take a moment, you really appreciate its murky depth.
I honestly didn't know what would work for the stem/bit of this pipe. You can see by my sketch above that I was leaning towards some sort of highly articulated wizardry. I think Ryan's solution works far better, both aesthetically and functionally. The cumberland he used is very subdued, fitting in with the overall subdued finish.
Working with Ryan is great, you can give him loose ideas or a firm direction and trust him with the final cut. I can't wait to load this pipe up and give it a whirl after work!
qDF01mg.jpg

U7i9257.jpg

You can find the full album of images here: http://imgur.com/a/M7bIa

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Hey, Ryan-
I chatted with you a bit in LV, and I'd be willing to trade photography lessons for a pipe.... Lemme know! :lol:
John

Status
Not open for further replies.