PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
So today I had a free afternoon so I thought I'd clean all of my pipes in 1 big batch. I decided to clean all of them with Bacardi since I read that somewhere in a thread here. But I have gotten some of the Bacardi on the outside of the bowls on most of the pipes. Now instead of being shiny and glossy, they're a dull matt finish. Did I mess these pipes up? Geeze I hope not.... I like them shiny like I bought them.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Dang. I think I am the Just Deal category since I'm a dork with my hands. The only thing I can operate is a mouse.

eibhir

Can't Leave
Jan 16, 2013
United States
Try a soft cloth heated gently with a hair dryer if they are wax coated. Put the cloth over the dull spot on LOW for a few seconds then gently rub to a shine. It also works on old furniture.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Get some pipewax and a microfiber cloth, I recomend Halcyon II wax as it is super easy to apply and won't stay in any crevices like the Paragon wax will. Let it dry for 15 minutes and then polish them off. You'll get the shine they once had, however the stain may be messed up a little as pouring alcohol on an alcohol based stain will remove some of the stain. Being hard liquor and not pure alcohol may not be as bad.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Thanks Guys! I think I will try the pipe wax. After posting this I went back to look at the pipes and they are definitely messed up. My beautiful Savinelli Bumble Bee is dull as a stone now. My next purchase is the Halcyon II wax. Thanks everyone.

gray4lines

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 6, 2012
KY
Let us know how it turns out! I was going to tey some halcyon as well, just for once in a while polishing.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Ordered the Halcyon II wax. $5 + 3 shipping on eBay. I'll let everyone know. I can't believe I messed this up.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Really sorry to hear this zonomo. I am a bit obsessive with my pipes, so I can imagine how you feel. The Halcyon wax is the best, not sure if it will be the ticket in this case, but wish you the best of luck.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
@zonomo
It's argued that the finish on the pipes that make them all nice and shiny hinders the ability of the pipe to properly breathe and disapate moisture effectively. Makes sense right?
So the pipe can only get rid of moisture from the inside of the bowl of the pipe, rather than the outside of the pipe as well, which almost always will have more of a surface area.
Probably why no corn cob has ever gurgled aye?

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
It's argued that the finish on the pipes that make them all nice and shiny hinders the ability of the pipe to properly breathe and disapate moisture effectively. Makes sense right?
On that note, I can tell you that my Peterson Rosslare Royal came with a heavy coat of varnish, but now after smoking it for a while, the varnish has begun to disappear. I guess due to the breathability of briar - it's broken down the varnish.
It's still there, but it's lost it's shine. So you may find that in a couple of months, the dull part begins to match the rest of the pipe.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Thats very interesting. Humm.... its got me thinking....

Aug 14, 2012
Good pipes do not have varnish or plastic finishes. They are stained and waxed. When the wax wears off and something I do not understand happens to the stain, the smoke improves. As mentioned above the moisture will be able to exit through the pipe instead of into your mouth. Well broken in pipes have a tendency to sweat. That doesn't happen with freshly waxed pipes. That is why I ask meerschaumers why they rewax their pipes. Should you remove the finish? I have done this with several pipes and the result was unsatisfactory. I believe that a well chosen stain can improve the taste of the briar until it is well enough broken in to taste good on it's own.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Make sure you use a microfiber cloth with the pipe wax, any regular cloth will take a very very very long time to get good results. They can be picked up at a lot of stores in person now.

Mar 2, 2010
WV
I've been using the halcyon wax for a few years now and absolutely love it. Just remember, a little bit goes a long way. that little jar could last a modest pipe collection a lifetime of polishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.