PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
Bought me a vintage estate pipe. Decided I needed some drama in my life and proceeded to rusticate the old, scratched, dented, smooth-finish, with a small rotary burr mounted in a Dremel tool. The pipe was a cheapo, with a grain pattern that was just meh, so I rusticated it. Besides, I needed the practice for future pipe re-works. The old pipe had some obvious fills that I wanted to eliminate/disguise. Yada, yada, yada....the pipe now sports a rough, new surface, the putty fills are gone, and I like the pipe much better now after the make-over. A silk purse was being created....hopefully.
Question(s):
I would like to buff out the pipe.... but DO NOT want to remove any of the nice bumps, dents, and valleys that come with a burr-rusticated finish. Is there a waxy compound that can be applied and rubbed out by hand, that will smooth/polish out the rusticated surface without cutting away, removing, smoothing out, all the surface textures left behind by the rotary burr? I want to keep the craggy texture, but with a shiny surface. I was thinking that maybe rubbing out the pipe with extra-fine, furniture-grade, pumice powder... mixed into a past with some coconut oil and then rubbed out with a nylon bristle brush that used for cleaning fingernails....will give me a nice shiny surface. Elbow grease will be my power source, and I can easily control the process.
Any alternatives?
Would a charged cloth buffing wheel be a better option? What compound should I use? Never did liked the buffing process....and hate the idea of my pipe richocheting off the floor when the high-speed wheel grabs the pipe. it almost always happens. :((((
Thanks for any suggestions,
Frank

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I dip a pipe cleaner in denatured alcohol, give the soaked cleaner a light but even spray of shellac, wipe down the surface of the rusticated piece with the pipe cleaner, then softly buff on a cotton wheel.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
BTW, keep a finger in the bowl when buffing. Helps keep the buffer from grabbing the pipe.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
The correct answer is a thinned cut of platinum blonde shellac flakes in denatured alcohol followed 2 days later by a little carnauba wax.The next best answer is get a spray can of Zinnser's Bull Eye Shellac. Give it a light coat, let sit for 2 days and hit with a little carnauba wax...There are no other correct answers...:)

sumusfumus

Jul 20, 2017
New York City
Ahhhhh.....Now I comprende. Many thanks for the finishing tips. A light coat of cut shellac never occurred to me. So the shellac gets into all the crevices and gives the pipe a sheen, like wet oil. Nice. That's exactly what I want. Hooooray! Another trick to add to my limited repertoire of pipe fixes. Hey....I'm learning a lot from generous forum members who share information.
BTW, at the advice of a few members, I tried to join the PIPE MAKER'S FORUM but it seems that it's either defunct, or has now action. I went through the registration process...a real PITA with the Captcha ciphers...yes, I am not a robot, and received an e-mail confirming my membership, but my request to join was never activated, even after I sent many e-mails suggesting that there might be a glitch. No responses, and none in my spam. So, at this point, I gave up.
Anyway, thanks for the great finishing tips.
*************************************************************************************
One more thing....has anyone ever used Sharpie Markers to draw some high-contrasting grain patterns on the surface of a smooth pipe? Just wondering because the dyes in a Sharpie are soluble in alcohol.... like Fiebing's Leather Dyes.
Frank

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Some 'Sharpie' pens that are black are in actual fact a very deep blue/purple so be careful. On pipes I have rusticated I have used Kiwi black shoe polish, rubbed down after an hour or so with excellent results.
Regards,
Jay.

sumusfumus

Jul 20, 2017
New York City
Jay....Thanks for that caveat re: the "black" Sharpie markers.
Much appreciate all the helpful suggestions that were offered, and also, the interest.
Frank

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Agreed... I have 'blued' some things with a black sharpie. And, bug flakes are good stuff. Easy to remove if you need to also.
The pipe maker's forum is slow. I am not real active there, but I am a member. I could send a PM to the admin if you want me to. I think I had to enlist help to get the registration finalized too.

Status
Not open for further replies.