PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I often read opinions about "good" and "bad" rustication and blasting.
I know what I like and dislike, but could not define good and bad in this context.
Please help me start a dialogue about what makes them good or bad.
Thanks.
jay-roger.jpg

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I would say that most if not all pipes that are rusticated are done so due to some blemish in the briar. Indeed the only reason I have rusticated any estate pipe myself was due to severe scratches or other handling defects collected over time.
Sandblasting of course is another kettle of fish. That is done to show off the ring grain of the stummel and if done right can be very beautiful.
What I don't like are those pipes that are part smooth and part rusticated...they just look cheap and nasty to my eye.
Regards,
Jay.

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
I think in the end, it's all just a matter of opinion, all subjective, good or bad, it's just what appeals to the eye, and mostly, what's popular...the current fad, the must-have "look-du-jour".....ultimately, all just nonsense.
See that 'Poop" pipe....I'd gladly take that pipe, any day, over some of those hideous, high-priced, monstrosities that I see being sold. See....it's subjective. Who actually cares what I think? It's in the eye of the beholder.
Frank

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I usually avoid rusticated pipes, and opt for sanblasts just because a sandblasted pipe looks more natural to me.
img_20150503_100201-600x450.jpg

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Jay I agree with you on partial sand blasted or partial rusticated pipes with the exception of pipes where it's a different side of the pipe that isn't rusticated. Like the bottom of a volcano or bottom of an elephants foot.
A good example of this would be Ashdiggers Alden elephants foot.
Also this gorgeous Shalosky volcano that I wish I could buy:
002-720-0047_1.jpg

002-720-0047_3.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think rustication and blasting are difficult tests of ones taste. I don't think the generalizations apply. It's a pipe-by-pipe judgement. I have a rusticated Dublin with a bamboo shank by the late Bob Hayes that I value highly, beautifully even rustication that suits the design and flow better than many other treatments would have. The eye of the artist. Likewise, I have some blasts that are deep a grainy in the favored way, that I treasure, but I also have some subtle intricate blasts that have a separate and special beauty that could be missed by the fans of deep and grainy blasts. So I think it comes up to an ability to discern what works on each shape, with each material. I have some quite folksy rustication easily dismissed by many, like a tall LaRocca poker with looped carving, that I passed up for that very reason. Then weeks later, went back on the basis that if it was still there, I'd buy it. It has a separate stalwart elegance that I have come to appreciate. So bypass the rules and categories and look at the pipe. Don't generalize. It's taste, judgement, nuance, sensitivity, experience, knowhow, open-mindedness, creativity, expansiveness. Skip the rules; skip the rules.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"I'm noticing my sandblasted (Savinelli-brand)smokes a bit cooler than those ones which have smooth finish."
Paul, as I'm sure you're aware that could well be down to more surface area therefore quicker dissipation of heat.
Regards,
Jay.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I'm going to take a look on the pipe carvers' forum for information about blasting.
I guess if there is no grain worth blasting evident on the shaped bowl, and it can't be a smooth, you rusticate.

If there is, you proceed, but how far do you go?

I suppose if you get a good shallow blast, you stop there.

But what are the indicators that keep the blasting going so as to reveal that craggy, deep blast that we love?

How do you know that the blast achieved on one side of the bowl is worth pursuing on another?
I suppose you just follow the grain evident at every stage with your eyes.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
The lower end rusticated Pete's rarely appeal to me. I find most of them look amateurish :crazy:
Bad;
Agreed. I love Peterson Pipes, but I will not buy a rusticated one without seeing it first. It seems they've gone to that patterned rustication as of late.
I usually avoid rusticated pipes, and opt for sanblasts just because a sandblasted pipe looks more natural to me.
Nice picture. I like that you are sitting on what appears to be a pile of clothes.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I prefer deep, craggy blasts (Cooke, Parks, etc.) and craggy rustications ( Castello Sea Rock, Roush, etc.). I generally don’t care for very light sandblasts, as they seem very bland and well, boring. I detest rustications that are too symmetrical, they often look bbq grilled or like pine cones to my eyes. I very much admire the old worn Dunhill shells from the 20’s and 30’s, they take on a special beauty from being held and smoked over many years. Michael Lindner has figured out how to reproduce the look of these old Dunhill shells with many years of hand polishing of the briar, it’s quite a handsome finish.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
There are so many variations even within blasts/ most of my blasts are fairly straightforward. The really deep blasts are a combination of a regular blast followed by hours on a micro blaster that allows you to actually use the glass bead as more of a carving tool. Here are some examples-

Blast followed by micro blasting

mkixc0.jpg

Masked blasting

2prae4p.jpg

Nice crisp blast on great briar

2v1pyk5.jpg

Light blast with masked areas

24x2u6o.jpg

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Zack, some fine work. How long have you been carving? I especially love the bent volcano/snail, and the stem adornments are interesting and beautiful. Did you make all the pipes in your photos?

Status
Not open for further replies.