PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dolomite128

Lurker
Apr 24, 2014
Clinton, MA
Along with my Classic Pipe ship write-ups I like restoring old pipes and even refinishing pipes.
I've looked up all sorts of information on the rustication and the staining / finishing of pipes. It's something I enjoy doing and it's a real labor of love 'recreate' pipes. I'm certainly not talented enough to turn my own pipes but restoring / rejuvinating and refinishing can be accomplished in my workshop.
If anyone has an specific questions, please feel free to reach out to me here or on my page:
http://classicpipeshop.blogspot.com/2015/07/rusticating-pipes-collection-of-my-work.html
I'll be adding more pictures as I sift through my previous projects.
I'd like to thank reborn pipes for having so much resource material on pipe repairs. I've taken some of that knowledge and put to to practice here...

stvalentine

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
That looks pretty impressive dolomite128! I haven´t tried this myself yet and wasn´t too much impressed about the methods of that I have read in the recent past. Would you care to let us know your approach?

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I had to go through my phone to see your blog. My work computer is a bit tyrannical.
I LOVE your work!
I need your advice. Badly. PM on the way.

dolomite128

Lurker
Apr 24, 2014
Clinton, MA
@wyfbane just replied to your PM...your pipe can definitely be saved. Let me know if you have any questions. Would love to help you out!
@stvalentine I'll document my method and post here soon. Pretty much just did it for wyfbane. Pretty easy if you have the tools and a steady hand!

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
dolo-

Great job on the rustication---- I can definitely see your affinity for Ferndowns/Ashtons showing through..........Impressive work, hope to see more! :clap:

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Some very nice rustication work on those pipe for sure. Really transforms them from somewhat plain to outright beautiful pipes. Great job. :clap:

ericthered

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
I enjoyed reading through your blog! Add me to the list of folks who want to learn your rustication method. I've picked up a few estates recently that seem to be more fill than briar.

dolomite128

Lurker
Apr 24, 2014
Clinton, MA
Thank you all for the kind words. I was just smoking my rusticated Del Rio (Comoy 2nd?!?) on my way to work today. The rustication turned out great and I'm looking forward to working on more pipes in the future.
I will document my process in the coming week to give you all a better visual of what I'm doing.
I'm also beginning work on my next Classic American Pipe Shop bio...lots of work but it's very rewarding to know the research is done right and I'm giving everyone the most in-depth view of these old shops that I can!

Status
Not open for further replies.