PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

damnyak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2012
Northern, Ontario. Canada
So a recent purchase of H&H Egg Nog I got was rusted at the bottom when I opened the tin, the whole tin smelled Metallic. Garbage. It was promptly replaced By Smokingpipes.com no issues. But my question is; I have a unopened tin of 2011 Christmas Cheer I was going to be saving for Christmas this year. I would like to keep it sealed, and crack it with the fam, but this issue of a rusted tin has me worried. Will it age just as well in a mason jar as opposed to the original tin? should I be worried? What would you do?
Thanks Gents.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
I have found many of my tins do the same thing, mostly the moist Suttliff blends. I have started putting them in mason jars and have had no problem. I think it is because the tobacco is touching the metal, with the jars it doesn't seem to be a problem. Although my dad had been storing a moist blend for a rather long time and the mason jar lid had started surface rusting after about 5 years of storage. The bacci was still good but that's just one jar that he had.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
It will start the aging process over once you put it into the jar. Odds are you will be OK with McClelland tins but I would be wary if they were 10-15+ years old. You can feel around the tin for soft spots, that would indicate rust but otherwise you should be OK, esp if you plan on opening it this year. Even 5 years from now I would not worry about the McClelland tin. The few issues I have had with their tins was from tobacco packaged in the 90s.

unfinished

Lurker
Aug 7, 2012
Rust form faster in higher temperatures. Rust is iron deposites caused by oxidation from the liquids containing iron. Try not to buy aromatics during warm temperatures. If the manufacturer(maybe the egg nog factory) used distilled water, this problem wouldn't have happened.

lankfordjl

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2011
Texas
When packing into mason jars - why not buy the plastic mason jar lids? Then you'll have no worry of the lids rusting after storage.

damnyak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2012
Northern, Ontario. Canada
Yeah, but these tins are new, Its not like I have been sitting on them for a couple years, opened the day I got them..
On another note, I just received my replacement......and it was rusted....and even dryer then the previous tin......Can't wait to see what happens next.
I can only figure its a flaw in teh container letting air in. It just sucks because I order, then its over a week till i get it, then another week and a half. Blah! At least the 1-Q and After hours was in good shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.