PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
From P&C site:
A few years ago, when Russ was still pressing tobaccos himself, he made a new blend based off 10 to Midnight, but with some Perique and black Cavendish added to it. He had made up a large batch, but for some reason, it never wound up being put on the website. When we rediscovered it, samples were passed around the office and we knew that we had to make it available. In fact, Eric enjoyed it so much, he said we should name it Tastykake. There's a limited amount made, so you'll want to get some right away if you love Latakia.
Sounds right up my line.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I am wondering whether the Cavendish is flavored. I like what unflavored Cavendish can do for this kind of blend, but a flavored Cavendish tends to be like putting Cool Whip on good Barbecue.

doverpipes

Might Stick Around
Jan 8, 2011
I ordered 4oz. to see if I would like it.

Russ' hand blends are usually top shelf offerings.

Now, all I have to do is to get him to make me a fresh, hand blended batch, of "Sweet & Savory".......

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
Well I wrote my review and it took to long so now I write it again. I am not a jiminks and my decision is usually to the tune of I like it and buy more, I like it and don't buy more or this is disgusting. In either case here it is:
The tobacco is a crumble kake and breaks apart easily. It is easy to fill the bowl, easy to light and only one relight. The moisture content is spot on and the tobacco burned to a fine ash and no dottle. The blend smelled of Latakia but not overwhelming and the smoke was also not overwhelming. The smoke was dry as most Latakia blends tend to be and there was a slight sweetness. I swear I got hints of wine and Merlot to be specific, am I crazy, maybe. The strength was short of medium and the nic hint was also so. This was a smooth blend and to me best smoked at the end of the day and not an all day smoke as I might get tiring.
Well there you have it.

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
That sure does look like a tasty kake! Thanks for posting.
Is this batch the same as the one in the description that was "rediscovered?" It presumably has a bit of age on it I guess.
Looks interesting.

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
Seems like a simple blend, interesting. The wine notes too, also interesting. Think Ill wait and sample this one before going in for the kill. THanks for the quick review and pictures.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I smoked one tin of 10-Midnight my first year of pipe smoking and I really enjoyed it. It was somewhat mild re: nicotine but it tasted great, and it happened when I was discovering Latakia.

Now this pops up, after my having by passed or demurred in buying more of the original, in favor of exploring more variety, and I feel like this is a sign.

I hope it's a good one!

You can get almost 4lbs of D&R blend right now @ P&C for what an lb of this is going for.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Thanks to Zitotczito, I got a healthy sample, which I'm now smoking. I'll have a review in a day or two.

Reactions: 5150Devon
Status
Not open for further replies.