Rungsted Seafarer: Preben Holm’s First Pipe Line?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

rockvillepete

Might Stick Around
Feb 21, 2013
I came across this lovely freehand on eBay last week and the name/make intrigued me. It was listed as a Ben Wade Rungsted Seafarer. Hmmm. I thought I was familiar with all of the various Ben Wade models but this was one I’d not heard of. Time for a little research…
13139075955_49cbf51a96_z_d.jpg

13139075915_06de384f24_z_d.jpg

There’s hardly any info on these aside from a Worthpoint listing of another Seafarer by the one and only Pipestud. According to Steve, the Rungsteds were the first pipe line produced by Preben Holm dating from the early 70’s and are quite rare. Before the Danish iteration of Ben Wade came into being, Preben’s pipes were being distributed by a New York firm named Snug Harbour beginning in 1969. I’m guessing that the Rungsteds were these pipes, sold by Snug Harbour and predate the Ben Wades.
13139075935_d8c4f9808b_z_d.jpg

13139356334_4a1820c874_z_d.jpg

I got lucky with this one. It’s in near mint condition and looks like it was only smoked once or twice in its 40+ years of existence. The stem is acrylic and has the seafarer logo intact. A great pipe in far better condition than I had hoped!
I’m a fan of Preben’s work so if anyone has one of these or knows anything about them say hey!

rockvillepete

Might Stick Around
Feb 21, 2013
samcoffeeman wrote:
I scored a Rungsted Norseman a while back. Beautiful freehands. I thought it was a Ben Wade second, but I didn't see any flaws in it. Mine was also lightly smoked. I gifted it to a friend of mine, but he says it smokes wet. Not sure where Pipestud got his info, but he's a pretty reliable source. I figured the logo on the stem is a viking ship.
That was my first thought as well Sam but this appeared to be too nice a pipe to be a second. Pipedia simply says that the Rungsteds were a Sub-brand by Preben Holm. Series: Mariner, Norseman, Seafarer. They usually use the word "second" to identify a line as such so "sub-brand" suggests a separate line of pipes by a particular maker. I also wonder if Mariner, Norseman, and Seafarer are grade designations or simply line extensions. That was my take on the stem's logo as well. When viewed upside-down it somewhat resembles a ram or bighorn sheep's head but I'm going with a Viking ship.
I filled it with a little C&D Billy Budd for my commute to work this morning and enjoyed a very nice smoke; cool and dry with no gurgle. As good or even better than most Ben Wades I've smoked. The draft hole could stand a little widening though.

rockvillepete

Might Stick Around
Feb 21, 2013
rigmedic1 wrote:
My Rungstead Seafarer, purchased from around 1985. This pipe has a cavernous bowl
Nice one rig! Was it new or an estate piece when you bought it? If new it seems less likely that these were only made during the early 70's.

Status
Not open for further replies.