PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
Yesterday, our 9 year old greyhound Maggie suffered a devastating leg break. She had no prior issues, but apparently stepped in a mole trail or rabbit hole during her daily "zoomie." After weighing surgery options, her thunder-phobic nature, resistance to certain types of meds and a 3-4 month recovery (just to walk), my wife and I made perhaps our toughest pet decision ever (and we've made more than we care to).
So, we let her leash loose one last time and let her run across what we pet owners call the bridge.
Run free girl!

My condolences. It is the toughest decision a pet owner makes. I had to let my dog go just before Christmas. It still doesn't seem normal not to have him at the foot of my bed every night.
Damn moles!! I hate those and chipmunks things more than any other wild animal. I sprayed castor oil over my yard to run them off, and the congregated under my deck, where I didn't spray, and you can't walk there any more. The ground is like Swiss cheese, and the it just collapses beneath your feet.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Very sorry to hear that Hobbit, it's an incredibly tough decision that all pet owners will have to make at some point, it just always seems to be too soon.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
My sincerest sympathy to you and your family ... those are very tough calls.
352950_1.jpg

gtrhtr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2016
Very tough decision, but know you did the right thing from someone whose been there as well.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Hard stuff. Your furry friends are with God. And He loves them. Trust in that. Nothing created, nothing destroyed.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
My condolences. That's a tough ending to endure, but at least she wasn't real young. Dogs are very special creatures.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
It's not an easy choice but I think you made the right one. So sorry. I buried my Father's dog too soon after he himself had passed and it was one of the toughest things I ever did. I bawled my eyes out the whole time. I buried my cat last fall. He had been there when both my folks were alive and when they passed. I remember the beagle had body checked him in the backyard one time and he must have rolled a good six feet before he got up and acted like he MEANT to get rolled by the dog. I planted a tiny oak tree with just two leaves over him. This spring it has four. As hard as it is when they go, both pets and family, I wouldn't trade my time with them for anything. Feel better soon Hobbit.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
I am so sorry for your loss, Hobbit.
These damned animals break our hearts because they leave way too soon.
You and your wife are in my prayers, friend.
Fnord

Mar 1, 2014
My sentimentality for pets has been whittled away to almost nothing, not only did I get the job of disposing of old horses at summer camp, but my Aunt is a Veterinarian, sometimes hanging out with family means you get a different perspective on things.

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
Thank you all for the kind thoughts, words and prayers. I know that as time moves on, the hurt will dissipate and we'll laugh at the times and antics experienced over the 7 years we had Maggie (she was on the track for her first 2 before escaping euthanasia there).

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Very sorry to read about your loss. We were in a similar situation last year with our basset hound/lab mix.I asked the vet how we can make such decision. She said if the dog can't do the things dogs love to do anymore they should be put down. It was still very tough, but the prospects of the dog being bed bound for all that time with no guarantee of a recovery prompted us to let him go.
I know you'll miss your companion just as much as we miss our Boris the Bassedore.

Status
Not open for further replies.