PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deuce26

Can't Leave
Jan 29, 2014
Slidell, Louisiana
Mates,
Thought I should share what I learned today. First, I tried Luxury Bullseye Flake today and really enjoyed it. I had two bowls. The first I tried the fold and stuff and the second I rubbed out. I enjoyed the flavor and performance of the rubbed out method better, but I'll keep experimenting with the fold and stuff just cause it feels old school to me.
Also, I used an estate Stanwell Danish freehand for the first time that I recently picked up from my local B&M. I was very impressed with the pipe. It won't win any beauty contests, but in my limited experience it smoked like a champ. I'll definitely be on the lookout for other Stanwells. I also really liked the way the freehand felt in my hand. The bowl had a substantial feel, yet it was lightweight. I'd love any suggestions for other pipes in this vein that you guys think I may like.
Finally, I used a softie bit for the first time and I am sold. It made the experience way more comfortable than I ever would have imagined. I'm hoping it holds up cause I can't imagine not using it in the future.

Oct 12, 2014
I have 2 Stanwell's in my rotation. Both fantastic smokers! I also like Butz-Choquin. Great smokers at great prices. Highly recommend. I too like the softy bits. I have 'em on every pipe I own.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I enjoyed the flavor and performance of the rubbed out method better,
I tend to rub out my flakes as well. I also let the tobacco air out after rubbing to get optimum moisture levels for that perfect bowl. Think I'll get to rubbing out some Comoy's Cask No. 7 right now!

pipebaum81

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2014
Softie bits are all win and no lose for me. Saves a bit from tooth marks and feels good in the corner of my mouth. THey were one of the first bits (pun intended, sorry) of advice I came across.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I'm a sucker for the freehands, especially those of danish make, or my favorite carver, Bruce Weaver. The softie bits have been a hit with me for years now, and have them on all of my pipes light enough to be clenchers. I usually get about a month's wear out of them, but I do tend to be a chewer. :oops:

meatballj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 14, 2014
New Brunswick, Canada
@deuce 26, I'm another +1 on the softy bits. Like pipebaum said, they help protect your stem and for a clencher like myself, they're easier on the teeth. I'm with you on the flake, I normally rub my own for best effect but would really like to be able to master the fold and stuff method for no other reason than it seems traditional.

dieseltech

Might Stick Around
Nov 18, 2010
if you have an inexpensive coffee grinder that you don't mind making unusable for coffee put some flakes in the grinder. Pulse grind it and then load. I have done this and it works pretty well. Rubbing is my favorite though as I enjoy the ritual.

Status
Not open for further replies.