PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
I recently discovered that I really enjoy Rum. I love my bourbon but have found that a nice dark rum is a very nice sipper.

Three questions -

What is your favorite dark rum?

What blends go well with a tumbler of Rum?

Which rum blends are your favorite? I'm interested in all ends of the spectrum here, from the drenched aromatic to the lightly topped.

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
I really like el Dorado rum. Most rums put the oldest in the blend as the age statement. El Dorado puts the youngest just as single malt.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I like lots of rums! I guess I'm somewhat of a rummy, because I like rum tobaccos also.
Right now my favorite rum is Gosling's Black Seal, a dark strongly flavored rum with hints of coffee. But it's not a flavored or spiced rum, just a good hearty sipping rum, a little like Meyer's rum, only not as sweet. It's not even that expensive either.
Favorite rum tobaccos are, C&D Black Frigate, C&D Blockade Runner, GH Rum Flake, and East India Trading Co. Cellar Reserve, which is an aro and has a mild rum flavor. I use it sometimes to mix with the others if I want a little milder sweeter rum flavor.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Altadis makes a Va/bur/Cav/rum blend, called Queen Anne's Revenge that I find pleasant and that has a really fragrant room note. I'm afraid the name may turn off some who don't know the reference. Queen Anne's Revenge was the flagship of the pirate Blackbeard -- the rum and pirate connection. It happens that the ship was discovered in the shallows at the North Carolina coast and is slowly being salvaged by professional salvage, science, and archeology experts. Anyway, the blend is a tasty rum aromatic. I think a similar blend without the rum is also available from Altadis, called Casanova, for its room note that appeals to women, supposedly.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
As for dark rum, I recommend Pusser's (pronounced Purser's) which is produced in two 200-plus-year-old wooden pot-stills in the British Virgin Islands. Here is a link to their Website: Pusser's Rum.
As for rum-flavored pipe-tobaccos, my favorite is Pipeworks and Wilke's Rumcake blended by Ms. Carole Burns. Here is a link to her Website: Pipeworks and Wilke.

texmexpipe

Oct 20, 2014
Great suggestions! Orley, Godlings Black Seal is what I've been enjoying, it's great stuff.

texmexpipe

Oct 20, 2014
Hunter that website has got some great info on the history of Pussers Rum. Will have to hunt down a bottle.

lotechjoe

Lurker
Mar 25, 2016
I've never tried them together but I may just have to. I'm coming to find my favorite rum tobacco is Sutliff's Maple Street. It's a blend of maple and rum. And my favorite rum has always been Cruzan Clipper.

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Not much of a drinker, But I'm with Orley as far as tobacco goes. BLACK FRIGATE!

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
Rum.jpg

I'm an Appleton fan all the way. The Red label Pussers is much better IMO. The hidden Mount Gay is the Sugar Cane rum, sadly discontinued. I'd have purchased cases of it if I'd known better. The Gosling's Old Rum isn't worth the purchase over the regular Black Seal IMO.
Now do not get me wrong here I love Rum! I can enjoy a bottom shelf rum (Whalers) as much as a premium.
One brand I detest is Bacardi. I taste too much ethanol in every label they produce.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The rum in Black Frigate, to me tastes subtle but distinct. On my earlier post, I think all of the Altadis blends are now part of the Sutliff line, and at SPC I didn't see Queen Anne's Revenge listed, although they do have Casanova as a bulk blend, as was QAR when it was offered.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
...going around in circles ... Cup O Jos has Altadis bulk blends listed separately and has both Queen Anne's Revenge, the rum blend, and Casanova, the one without rum.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I am not a big rum drinker but my favorite is Havana Club Anejo 15 year old rum from Cuba. It is not available to import to the US, but there are ways to get it here. It is some really tasty sipping rum. It is never to be mixed in a drink. I have never smoked a pipe while drinking it, only Cuban cigars. One of my favorite Cuban cigars to smoke with it is a Partagas Serie Du Connoisseur #1. It is a Delicados size that has an incredible wrapper to filler ratio. It is 7 inches long and has a 38 ring gauge, very similar to a Lancero.
My favorite rum blends are GL Pease Navigator and Fribourg & Treyer Special Brown Flake.

Status
Not open for further replies.