PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
I confess that I'm not all that experienced at smoking flakes, however there are a lot of flakes and plugs that I enjoy smoking.

My question is, how many of you rub your flakes out ahead of time and I mean the ones you are going to smoke, not cellar?

How much do you rub out at a time?

I have tried the fold and stuff method, but my results are never as good as when I cut the flakes into approx 1/2 inch pieces and rub them out. I would like to keep some rubbed out flakes already on hand and I was thinking about rubbing out 2 oz. at a time. Anyone else do this?

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
I rub out a pipe's worth when I want to smoke. Some people have good luck with cube cutting a flake and loading the cubes.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I just grab 2 flakes and rub them out between my palms. Doesn't matter if it's Dark Star or ODF or whatever. If it's moist I let it dry after I rub it out.
While I have cubed it, it seems like more work than is necessary. I don't think rubbing out 2 oz would hurt anything.

Dec 28, 2015
With dryer flakes like OGS and LNF I usually fold and stuff but with wetter flakes like any SG flake I normally rub out just enough for a bowl. I have never really had good experience with cube cutting.

May 4, 2015
I rub out almost everything. Dunhill flake I have luck cube cutting.
Packing a cube cut for me just involves letting it fall in to the bowl how it will. No compressing. And very, very light tamping as I go.
9 times out of 10 I fully rub out.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Cube cut all the way here. 10 pounds of ODF cellared, and all cube cut before jarred up. I get more flavor out of a cube cut flake, and the added surface area seems to get a slower burn rate. Recently bought 5 pounds of Stokkebye's Cube Cut, and what a wonderful thing it is!

beezer

Jul 12, 2013
I usually grab just over a bowl's worth and anything I can't pack gets put back in the jar with the flakes. The primary reason for rubbing out more than what can fit in the bowl is I really don't want to hassle with dipping into the jar to grab another flake, rubbing it out, and waiting any longer just because I underestimated what I'd need the first go around. I used to cube cut, but now prefer just rubbing flakes out real good.

akfilm

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2016
I only rub out what I need for the pipe I'm using. I really should revisit cube cut, haven't tried doing it in a long time.

panamacharlie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
Two of my favorites are PS LBF and LNF. I just fold and stuff, burns really cool and lasts a long time, two hours in a medium bowl.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Cube cut all the way here. I get more flavor out of a cube cut flake, and the added surface area seems to get a slower burn rate.
Same here ... plenty of dry time and a gravity pack only. Sharp scissors makes this even less effort than rubbing it out.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm sure I lack finesse, but I just take three or four squares of flake out of the tin and twist off the ends with my forefinger and thumb, like tearing up lettuce for salad. I usually break up enough for three or four medium-sized bowls and then break up the pieces a little more so the pieces are smaller. The drying time only improves the burn on the second and third bowls. This is a primitive way of doing this, but it works for me. Plugs, of course, I slice, but then the procedure is about the same, as with rope and coins. Some time when I'm feeling really patient, I'll try the fold and tuck routine. I've not had great success with pre-cube-cut, so I don't prepare tobacco that way, but again, if I get in an exploratory mode, I may. Once I smell the 'baccy, I tend to go for the light-up. Smaller pipe bowls seem to be made for flake/plug/cube/rope, and give a nice focused, even burn and delicate flavor. Not that medium or large bowls don't work, but small pipes seem to flavor flake.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I am a chronic rubber outer. I'm not big on the "stuff and fold" method and contrary to what people say, flakes are made to be stored like that, to save room on the ship at sea, not so you can "stuff and fold" them (but go ahead stuff em, if ya want to). I'll probably be stoned for my opinion on that but hey, it's just that, my opinion.

I just rub enough out for the bowl I'm going to smoke cause I like to store them in their flake format. Same goes for ropes and plugs. Plugs I just slice off and cube cut and ropes I coin cut into very thin slices and rub em on out! By all means keep trying different methods and find out what works for you.

alexnc

Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
I usually fold twist and stuff with a little rub out on top. I've never cut cubes but certainly will try it now. I've got to say though I've been thinking about this and I fully rubbed out about half a tin of ODF a few weeks ago and really do like the convenience of popping a jar and loading with no muss no fuss.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
I almost always rub everything out, enough for one bowl at a time, and occasionally grab a pair of kitchen shears and whack away at the rub outs as the spirit moves. Why are my palms getting hairy?

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
The only flakes that don't give me trouble are Peter Stokkebye and C&D Flakes. The others have been too finicky for me. For the Peter Stokkebye I leave them as is and then just rub out what I need for a bowl. The C&D flakes I'll rub out one for a bowl but will also continue rubbing the rest out in the tin for my next few smokes while I'm smoking it.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I have success with roll and stuff, I usually just rub out a flake before I smoke it though, I like the way it smokes rubbed out

Status
Not open for further replies.