PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
In a recent conversation I was having with a fellow piper here, he asked about rubbing out flakes in bulk (IE a tin at a time). Thinking that the commercial blenders use a cement-mixer, I figured that (well) bagged flakes in a clothes-dryer on the "cool" setting would accomplish the same effect.

I recognize that Ziplock bags are air-permeable, would the dryer cause the flakes to...well...dry, even double bagged? Would using a setting with heat force artificial aging, like leaving a tin on the windowsill in the sun?
Either way, I'll probably give this a go tonight, just to see what happens...

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Whew! I thought this was going to be a political post.... :D
I have tried this before... I thought it might be convenient to have a jar of "ready rubbed" flake.

I found that it never worked well for me. Never was quite right when I smoked it.

YMMV

maduroman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 15, 2010
why rub em out...(i feel kinda dirty saying that), i use the stuff n puff method to great effect.

assaad

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2011
I agree with maduroman, I never rub out flakes they just smoke much too well folding them and stuffing them in. They stay lit very easily and smoke cool that way. If it's good enough for Per Jensen it's good enough for me.

julesholling

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2011
Sutton, Surrey
Can't help but think that even on a cool setting the clothes dryer would be too hot. May even melt the bags you've put the flakes in.
Can imagine how pleased your misses would be when she finds melted zip lock bag all over the inside of the dryer :lol:

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
why rub em out...(i feel kinda dirty saying that), i use the stuff n puff method to great effect.
Some flakes - McClelland St. James Woods comes to mind - just smoke better when they are fully rubbed.
Can't help but think that even on a cool setting the clothes dryer would be too hot. May even melt the bags you've put the flakes in.
Ok, so, tested on "Cool" setting with an oz in 3 ziplocks, with a few pairs of rolled up socks tossed in for some sort of action, nothing much happened, other than the tobacco picking up the mild aroma of clean laundry (home-made Lakelands, anyone?). Gave it another go, on a warm setting, but sealed in a heavy foodgrade polybag (NAP). Once again, didn't so much rub out the flake, but it certainly did something to the tobacco, almost akin to force aging in the sun, but not to the same degree.
Can imagine how pleased your misses would be when she finds melted zip lock bag all over the inside of the dryer [:lol:]
LOL - probably not the best time to tell her there is a BC Warden and Stanwell Freehand hiding in my center console that she hasn't yet seen, eh?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Keep them pipe purchases to yourself!

For myself, part of the flake mystique is the preparation prior to smoking, it's an occasional smoke, so for me, the effort pays off.

assaad

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2011
ssjones, I will agree that preparation does lend to the hobby, which is why I need to get my hands on a good plug so I can at least slice it up before folding the flakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.