PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinbird

Lurker
Feb 16, 2017
So I've been seeing that some pipes have a rubber tip end. I looked at these on line and it seems there's is just one size. Do these stretch over or are they heat shrink? I ask this because from my limited knowledge as a newbie, the stem tips seem to be different size/diameters and I don't want to order some if they're going to be too big or too small.

Thx :)
Tb

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
They're called bits and they come in two sizes online, 9mm and 12mm. Most regular vendors do not carry the larger size but they are useful for wider stems. They are not heat shrunk on but rather are a slip fit. In some cases a very hard slip fit. They should not be left on the pipe after use or they will mark the stem, quite badly if left on for a long time. It's a hassle but if you're like me and can't get by without them it's worth it.

Oct 7, 2016
I have not been able to find the 12mm in stock anywhere, I had concluded that they weren't made anymore since no shop I have talked to on the phone knows anything about them or how to order them.
Use as Darwin suggests. I have a very nice Ser Jacopo poker that is simply unsmokeable without one, only Ser Jac I own that has a totally uncomfortable mouthpiece, but with the softie bit it is fine. Was enjoying it yesterday, in fact.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I have them on all my pipes. I usually smoke my pipes without my dentures in and the softie bits help me grip better when I clench. After awhile they begin to taste bad so I usually take them all off about every two months and boil them in hot water.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Ray-
Do your pipe stems have a mark visible when you take off the softie bits?
I can't stand them, but fortunately, I don't need them.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"I usually smoke my pipes without my dentures in and the softie bits help me grip better when I clench."
And there was me thinking it would be impossible to clench without having a full set of teeth...learn something new everyday here 8O
Regards,
Jay.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I use them as well though I have all my teeth. Also I rarely take them off. I just wipe the outside down with alcohol while doing my regular cleaning.
I've taken them off a few of my pipes and replaced them and haven't really noticed any issues with my stems. I can see maybe being a problem with vulcanite but not acrylic.
I've got Chacom where the bit is too big for that stem but it fits most stems and sometimes they can be a pain to get on.

Oct 7, 2016
Hadn't thought of putting them in hot water to make it easier to get them on. Thanks, Jay. If anyone knows where to get the 12mm ones, please let me know. One shop owner I talked to remembers them, but can't find them at any of his distributors.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
Ray-

Do your pipe stems have a mark visible when you take off the softie bits?

I can't stand them, but fortunately, I don't need them.
I haven't noticed any marks on the vulcanite stems. It doesn't matter on the acrylic stems. I always wipe the vulcanite stems after removing the softie bits after each smoke. As I said in my former post, the taste is the big problem after about 2 months, but cleaning them cures the problem.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
Posted by Ray47: "I usually smoke my pipes without my dentures in and the softie bits help me grip better when I clench."
Posted by Jay: And there was me thinking it would be impossible to clench without having a full set of teeth...learn something new everyday here

Regards,

Jay.
Posted by Ray47: I have no problems clenching without dentures, even without softie bits, but the bits help. I'd smoke my pipes with my dentures in, but I can't taste the tobacco all that good because the dentures cover most of the tastes buds. As a result, most of my pipe smoking is done at home. I'm self conscious about not wearing my dentures in public.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I used them for a while, to protect my stems from tooth damage. After a while, they got pretty nasty, so I figured I didn't need even more maintenance involved with my pipe smoking experience. With guys like Georged around, who can make a better-than-new replacement stem, it just didn't seem to make sense.

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
I always smoke with a bit. I clench A LOT so they save my teeth and my stems. Ill use one for a month then just replace it. .50c each at Smoking pipes com :)

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
"I have not been able to find the 12mm in stock anywhere"
They are only available online, such as here:
12mm bits
None of the regular pipe vendors carry them.

tinsel

Oct 23, 2015
Pipes and Cigars has them in both sizes as well
https://www.pipesandcigars.com/p/softy-pipe-bits-pipe-tools/1478264/

Status
Not open for further replies.