PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
Does anybody know what kind of tobacco they blend Dunhill's RY with? I know this is a Virginia based tobacco, but I'd like to know what other tobaccos, if any, will go into this blend or mixture. Also, I'd like to know if this is a cased tobacco and how they produce it.
Ubsumq.jpg

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
"ROYAL YACHT TOBACCO FORMULA"
This tobacco is blended in 45.36 kilogram lots. The formula is as follows:

26.30 kilograms Tobacco No. 3496.

13.15 kilograms Tobacco No. 923 or, depending upon availability, No. 1159. Do NOT mix these two tobaccos! Use all of one or the other.

5.91 kilograms Tobacco No. 531.
Mix component tobaccos in Batch Tumbler for 40 minutes.
Apply 31.42 liters Sauce No. M9218 to mixed batch after transferring it to Saucing Tumbler. Tumble for 5 hours.
Transfer to Drying Tumbler and warm-air dry (30-degrees Celsius) for 2 hours.
Spray-apply Casing No. LT43 at a rate of 59.15 milliliters per kilogram using misting spray nozzles No. UDM28. Air pressure not to exceed 1.931 bars. Belt speed to be 91.44 centimeters per minute +/- 2.54 centimeters per minute maximum. This is critical! Periodic samples must be taken throughout the run to ensure adequate casing. Use Test Protocol CT-23, latest Revision.
Tumble mixture in Casing Tumbler for 1 hour and 43 minutes.
Air-dry completed batch in Clean Room for 48 hours prior to tinning.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Wait a minute, Hunter. A re wee being treated to your usual creative wit, or do you know something that only Dunhill's employees know?

May 31, 2012
At one time, if I remember correctly, I could be wrong, but the

BAT ingredient list

listed Plum juice/concentrate as an ingredient, but now only says Flavouring, so it's no help.
I've heard some say black currant, but a majority says tonquin bean, however, RY connoisseur extraordinaire Pipestud disputes that and I'd tend to agree with him because he's so intimately familar with it,

quote:

Don't know about the Orlik topping, which has morphed about three times since they took over the blending (and the cut of the leaf has gone through several phases as well). Dunhill always kept their RY casing a secret as did the subsequent Murray's blenders. On a whim, back when I was ordering the hand blended version of Royal Yacht directly from the Dunhill London Store, I ordered a batch of Elizabethan Mixture without the Perique with the Royal Yacht secret casing from Marc Burrows (the Dunhill London Store Master Blender until he retired in 2005), and it was delicious. It was My Own Blend #1010 (I told him 10 was my favorite number). I ordered it 10 tins at a time several times over the years and wish I had not smoked it all up. Oh well...
Pipestud
I've only smoked the newer Made in Denmark stuff and I get more of a cocoa flavor than anything else.

I think it's pretty much a straight Va, but there may be trace amounts of condimental leaf?
If you haven't read all the many reviews, you'll get an idea there on the broad range of interpretations:

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/461/dunhill-royal-yacht
If the topping actually is tonquin related, it would more than likely be a proprietary synthetic composition because there was a big coumarin scare and most of the big UK tobacco houses removed tonka related ingredients and replaced them with synthetics.
If perchance you may be interested to run a test, tonquin beans are easily available,

http://www.steenbergs.co.uk/product/950/tonka-beans

back in ye olde times it was common for the snufftaker to place a tonka bean in the snuffbox to add a bit of flavor, I think if you got a neutral straight Va and put it in a jar with a few tonka beans, the flavor may transfer?

I don't really know.
So,

the answer is nobody really knows except those who are currently blending it, such things are always very well guarded secrets.
Offtrack,

I fell in love with St. Bruno but couldn't exactly place the complex flavor - I actually found and decoded all the relevant info (a big list) and even though I know most of the constituent ingredients, I'm still bewildered as to why it tastes like it does!

The processing of the leaf itself also plays a big role.
Hope this helps.

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
I have coded this in my tobacco jar as Va+ (Virginia + something else). Thank you all for the input.
I am somewhat confused over this BATingredient list as I wasn't expecting to find any chemicals, however organic, in my tobacco at all.

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
Is there a difference between Flavouring and Flavoring?
"Flavouring" is the correct English standard form in the UK whereas "flavoring" is the wrong Webster's transcription in American English.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
That's the secret sauce. Prunes?
No wonder I get the Hershey squirts when I smoke that stuff!
Whatever as I have a simple philosophy when it comes to tobacco. If I like it, I smoke it. If not... I don't and to hell with what the blend is, and or the flavoring as long as it's not a Lakeland essence tobacco. :wink:

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
So that is what makes it so darn tasty!
I'm going down into my subterranean tobacco cellar, crack the door on the safe, and get me some!

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
A few years back, on another forum, there was some talk that RY contained burley tobacco. Someone had contacted Orlik and received an answer confirming this. The answer was copy-pasted there and I have no reason to believe someone making it up. Sadly the forum purges old threads on regular basis, so the post is not available anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.